cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 won't unlock my phone

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anybody help, I bought a brand new 6s from CPW entered my old O2 SIM card in the handset as EE could not transfer my number for a week after I decided to change networks, O2 have now locked my phone but will not accept responsibility and have said they can't unlock it, I spoke with apple and they have said that the imei is Cleary locked to O2 and they have to unlock it, I'm stumped as I now have an unusable brand new phone 😞
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144556 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
Yes, it is o2 that has to unlock it but they aren't unlocking 6s yet.
Try the complaints route and explain the problem as I think that might ne the only way or return phone to CPW under the change your mind period and start again but don't insert o2 sim.
However, when you insert your EE sim it will lock to that also.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 144556 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
Yes, it is o2 that has to unlock it but they aren't unlocking 6s yet.
Try the complaints route and explain the problem as I think that might ne the only way or return phone to CPW under the change your mind period and start again but don't insert o2 sim.
However, when you insert your EE sim it will lock to that also.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123045 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Unless bought from Apple directly the iPhone will lock to the first sim inserted. This was CPW's responsibility to inform you of this

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought an Iphone 6s from O2 month ago.They told me I can unlock the phone once I got the refresh contract.And when I called them now,O2 is telling a different story.They say Only Apple can do it.

IT DRIVES ME MAD as its a blatant deception by O2

Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 144556 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
I think you'll find o2 will unlock it once you've "paid" your refresh contract off, as per the T&C's.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123045 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I think you'll find o2 will unlock it once you've "paid" your refresh contract off, as per the T&C's.

Seems to be a misunderstanding here....Perhaps @Anonymous didn't hear the bit about 'paying off' the refresh contract...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 144556 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
Seems like it.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you are right; the only reason they give for not unlocking is that "we are not unlocking iPhone 6s" .  That is NOT a logical reason as to why are they not unlocking the phone.  It seems to be misleading and unfair.  So why do O2 get away with such a blatantly unfair behavior.  Answer, please  O2, if you care about your customers. 

Message 8 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123045 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

All networks have the same policy @Anonymous. The only way you can buy an unlocked iphone is directly from Apple

With O2 they will unlock the phone if you pay it off in full... or 6 months from release date

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144556 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
O2 won't answer you here.
If you want o2 to answer you need to call cs or raise a complaint http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain but you'll not get anywhere because it has been o2 policy for years.
By the end of Feb they will be unlocking them.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13