cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 trying to charge £450 for replacement phone

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish to highlight an ongoing dispute I am having with O2 and hope that by asking for your advice I can find some sort of support in getting a resolution.

In September I entered a new contract with O2 for a new Samsung Galaxy S6 on their pay monthly refresh plan.

Less than a month later, the phone broke. I brought it to the O2 store to have it sent for repair. As a result, they sent it off. That was the last I heard for nearly a week. I rang up and was told the phone hadnt been recieved. Essentially, the O2 store neglected to send the phone to the repair team.

After much discussion, it was agreed that I would recieve a new phone and O2 would keep the old one. I was also offered £100 compensation by the store manager. The new one would arrive with me the next day.

Over 2 months has passed and I am still dealing with this issue.

The manager that offered the compensation neglected to complete his promise. Eventually, I was awarded the £100 to be added to my next bill after well over a couple of dozen calls and emails. O2 did not once keep a promise to email or call me back and repeatedly switched my services off in this time.

They did, however, add the £100 to my O2 account and I was satisfied.

This is where the issue gets worse. I get a text on the 10th November to say that my O2 order will be delivered later that day. I call the company and they advise my old phone is being sent back to me. I specifically asked previously that this does not happen and I repeat this request on the 10th by asking them not to send the delivery.

A number of people I spoke to on the 10th advised they could not stop the delivery, but, not too worry as the company made a mistake by sending it to me and because of this I can keep the phone. They advised that I would not be asked that either phone be returned or be charged. I was even advised that I should pay to have it repaired as it would be a useful thing to have. They said clearly its now mines and I can do with it as I wish. 

I asked specifically if I can keep the phone would there be any charge to me for either phone outside of what I pay. I was told O2 will not make any attempt to charge me or ask for either phone back.

I am happy enough with this advice.

Move forward a number of weeks and now O2 are asking for the phone to be returned or they will charge me £450 by the 3rd December.

I no longer have the phone so will be unable to return it. I gave it away on the 15th Nov as I was advised it was now mines and I can do what I want with it.

I have tried to deal with the company, but, they are unwilling to help. They say they have no recording of the calls but are aware they happened and only admitted they could see I made the call after I pointed it out on my bill. Apparently no notes have been left on the account and no one accessed the account even though I was on the phone for nearly half and hour and could prove it.

They say they have no evidence of what occurred on the call because these people left no notes on the account and they cant find the call because no one accessed the account.

I feel I am being conned out of a lot of money when I didnt want the phone in the first place. I would never have accepted the delivery or gave it away had I not been assured O2 would not ask for it back or charge me for it. O2 told me one thing and did the complete opposite.

I am being charged £450 for a phone that isnt even worth that price.

I really need someone to help me make this public to show O2 they cant treat people like this. I have contacted Ofcom and will contact citizens advice as soon as they open, but, I am asking you to make this publuc so people can see how sneaky O2 really is.

Any advice would be much appreciated also.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

They appear to be charging you the whole amount for the second phone. 

Google the CEO address & drop them an email. 

Also you can complain here

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
OFCOM won't be interested.
Follow the advice you have been above.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
No way o2 would let someone keep a galaxy S6 meant for refurbishment chain.
I can't believe someone told you that.
Message 4 of 6

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
@viridis, I also don't "buy" that OP "gave" the phone away. Sounds like someone got a wee xmas bonus, shame its subject to claw back rights tongue
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

The OP can only make the complaint and see what transpires. Ask to listen to any phone calls that they do have.

Message 6 of 6