cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 so wrong to sell my details

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am sick and tired of receiving calls from non O2 companies trying to help me out with my O2 contract which is coming to an end. I have had a total of 25 calls in the last two days. I am fuming, and guess what, unlikely to renew any sort of contract with such a company that believes my contract details are up for sale to anyone who wants it.
Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

You could check in your Myo2 to see what your preferences, list of options on the left, choose My Choices or write to O2 to remove yourself from this type of cold call again.

You can also write to ask them to stop calls from trusted partners to your number.

Telefónica UK Limited
Correspondence Department

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

Part of o2's t&c you sign up to is :

"21.4 You also agree to the information described in paragraph 21.3 being used, analysed and assessed by us and the other parties identified in paragraph 21.3 and selected third parties for marketing purposes including amongst other things to identify and offer you by phone, post, the Network, your Mobile Phone, email, text (SMS), media messaging, automated dialling equipment or other means, any further products, services and offers which we think might interest you. If you don’t want your details to be used for marketing purposes, please write to us c/o The Data Controller, Telefónica UK Limited 260 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 4DX or through the ‘Contact Us’ section of our Website. You’ll need to tell us your full name, address, account number and Mobile Phone number. For details on how we use your information please refer to our Privacy Policy on our Website."

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

You could check in your Myo2 to see what your preferences, list of options on the left, choose My Choices or write to O2 to remove yourself from this type of cold call again.

You can also write to ask them to stop calls from trusted partners to your number.

Telefónica UK Limited
Correspondence Department

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

Part of o2's t&c you sign up to is :

"21.4 You also agree to the information described in paragraph 21.3 being used, analysed and assessed by us and the other parties identified in paragraph 21.3 and selected third parties for marketing purposes including amongst other things to identify and offer you by phone, post, the Network, your Mobile Phone, email, text (SMS), media messaging, automated dialling equipment or other means, any further products, services and offers which we think might interest you. If you don’t want your details to be used for marketing purposes, please write to us c/o The Data Controller, Telefónica UK Limited 260 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 4DX or through the ‘Contact Us’ section of our Website. You’ll need to tell us your full name, address, account number and Mobile Phone number. For details on how we use your information please refer to our Privacy Policy on our Website."

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Shouldn't have to do this, and I've been with O2 since they where bt cellnet. Unlikely to continue.
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI

I appreciate your stance on this but it is part of the T&C you signed up to.

As i said their are avenues to help curb this.

Message 4 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seriously though who reads ALL of the t and c's it's nigh on impossible to do that. Have you seen apples t and c's. I have a job, a family and a life. O2, and come to that any company should protect their customers. PAC code request highly likely
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I submit T&C can be rather intensive and long winded however they are their to protect you and the company.

Here is a PAC self help thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Obtaining-a-PAC-Code-from-the-O2-Network/m-p/54427... and leaving O2 http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high... but I hope you don't need them !

If you do contemplate moving then please check out networks that interest you by using their Payg sims where you live and work and commute to ensure you get good signal.

Message 7 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Make sure you opt out of marketing when you move to your new network wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousYou say "O2, and come to that any company should protect their customers." but I think the weight of English law would be against you there.  As far as I am aware Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware!) is still very much a principle of English law.   Whilst I agree with you that reading T&Cs is a chore the fact is you ignore them at your peril.  One way I find helpful, especially when purchasing something of reasonable value, or when entering into a contract that will entail a financial commitment over a prolonged period, is to jot down at least some of the things I am concerned about and then speak to the sales people asking direct questions of the "What happens if....?" variety and asking specifically where that matter is dealt with in the T&Cs.   I can then peruse those particular paragraphs in detail at home before finalising any deal.

Gerry 

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous

Caveat Emptor is specific to the purchase of an item via a source that does not have legal backing effectively.

The issue of a company, in this case o2, selling personal details has nothing to do with CE, it is an issue for the Data Protection Act 1994 as amended 1997
Message 10 of 16