cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 refresh contract expiry and porting old number

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, just a quick query regarding the cancellation of my o2 contract.

My contract is due to expire at the end of this month (31/12/15) and i have found a new deal via a third party that i will be signing up for. However the third party deal is still on the o2 network.

I have recently spoke to one of the agents on live chat and they informed me that once i receive my new handset i can contact them and ask them to port my current number across to the new handset and this will also automatically cancel my contract with o2.

I was just wondering if anyone can confirm this to be true as it seems a little too simple, as i have been led to believe it was quite a lengthy process

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144467 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27682 Solutions
No, that's exactly all you need to do.
You will get 2 bills though in Jan, your final one for old contract and the first one for new contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 144467 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27682 Solutions
No, that's exactly all you need to do.
You will get 2 bills though in Jan, your final one for old contract and the first one for new contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, thanks for your quick reply.

Thats great i have been told by friends it can become very confusing when switching contracts etc but seems pretty straightforward.

I dont suppose you know how long it takes to transfer an old number to a new handset?

Message 3 of 11

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6981 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot

Message 5 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23104 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

Your number does not port to the handset. It would have to be swapped to a new sim card if you're getting one.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Be aware that you cannot get a refresh deal through a third party, you will be locked into a standard 24 month contract 

Message 7 of 11

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Don't the 3rd party do upgrades?
Upgrading your current agreement is surely much easier?
Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144467 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27682 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

Typically new contracts are cheaper than upgrades through the likes of CPW etc.....

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6981 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@viridis wrote:

Typically new contracts are cheaper than upgrades through the likes of CPW etc.....

Which is completely wrong.  Why should you have to go through an independent?  Surely O2 should be able to compete on prices...

Message 10 of 11