Did you mean: 

O2 not recognising address - run out of option

NetworkNorm
Level 3: Thinker
  • 64 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

Posting on behalf of a friend, who I’ve been trying to help resolve this situation,

He’s been an O2 pay monthly customer for over 20 years. Last year he moved into a “lodge” on a mobile home park which is now his permanent residence.

He tried changing his address on the O2 website, but it wouldn’t accept it - even though it came up in the address search. He then tried the O2 chat, who told him to go to a store.

Following that advice he went to the local O2 shop who couldn’t help him and told him to phone 202. He did that and they couldn’t change it either! They said he should write to their correspondence team with proof of his address etc.

That was done and they couldn’t change it either! He resorted to contacting the CEO office and after a couple of weeks he got a call and they eventually said they had sorted it and gave him £20 bill credit for his trouble.

A week later he checked online and low and behold it’s still the old address.

The crux of the issue seems to be that the caravan park is classed as a “business” address which is why their systems won’t let him change to it. He doesn’t want to leave O2 but he’s of the view that this is the only way to resolve this, as he wants to replace his handset soon and won’t be able to have it delivered to his address as O2 don’t recognise it.

Short of writing to the CEO office again, or maybe a complaint via resolver, does anyone have any ideas how we can get this frustrating issue resolved?   

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10268 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions

@NetworkNorm 

I think you have hit the nail on the head, a caravan is a business address and as such wont be accepted for a consumer contract.. And he will more than likely run into the same problem with other networks.. 

Has your friend spoken to other people on the site at all?

The other problem is that most see caravan parks as temporary accommodation, and are a big fraud risk..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 8

NetworkNorm
  • 64 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

There are for lodges on the park that are occupied all year, and he owns one of them.

He’s spoken to his neighbour who said that he uses another address ( he still owns his former home I think )  for anything “legal” or that requires a contract. Unfortunately my friend doesn’t have that option. 

Message 3 of 8

madasaf1sh
  • 10268 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions

@NetworkNorm 

I think he has answered his own question to be fair, as sounds like other companies don't accept the address of the caravan park for anything that has legal binding.. 

Is there an address he could use?  Friends or Family?

I don't think you will get far with o2, or as I said any other network...

Message 4 of 8

NetworkNorm
  • 64 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It’s interesting though that he’s had no problem with any other organisation, including his bank. Indeed he’s successfully applied for a credit card at his new address with no issues at all. To discriminate against customers who live in this type of accommodation seems unfair if not illegal?

Message 5 of 8

madasaf1sh
  • 10268 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions

o2 (and other businesses) can apply risk profiles to addresses, if it has a high incidence of fraud or high likely hood of people not paying bills... 

It certainly isnt illegal...

Message 6 of 8

NetworkNorm
  • 64 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

But if they are recording his device agreement and monthly contract against his old address, how can that be right? 

Message 7 of 8

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6255 Posts
  • 108 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@NetworkNorm 

Is your friend on the Voters' List (Electoral Register) at the lodge ?  

Message 8 of 8