cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 mobile broadband blocks online gaming?!

Lucinda
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I took out this mobile broadband contract as sadly I live in a grade two listed home and the freeholders refuse point black to get It cabled. This means I can only use mobile broadband as my home broadband (wired connection I would have a speed of 1 Meg so useless). I recently left Vodafone as they have a NAT 4 server which blocks all online gaming. When I took out this contact I had specified over and over again to the agent, I would like to use this for online gaming and would this be possible, they told me yes multiple times. My broadband arrived and low and behold I tried connecting both on PC and on my XBOX and I've been lied to, it does not allow online gaming and again a strict NAT 4 server type. Is anyone else having the same problem? As per usual o2's staff are completely useless via the phone and Instore and had zero idea what I was talking about and why this is a issue and why I'm furious I've been lied to. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@LucindaI'll tag one of our account advisors @O2Lisa and hopefully she can help. She will be on duty at 8am.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

O2Lisa
  • 996 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 32 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @Cleoriff 

I'll message you privately @Lucinda and look in to this for you. 

My working hours are Monday - Thursday 08:00 - 18:00
Any messages sent outside these time will be responded to on my return.
Thanks slight_smile

signature
Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks @O2Lisa 😉

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

Gisbo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I need help with a double NAT issue on Xbox Series S please. I recently purchased an O2 Mobile Broadband date sim for use with a Netgear MR5200 5G mobile router so that I may game when travelling the UK in our caravan and need to know how to resolve the double NAT issue

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Gisbo @Lucinda 

The problem is that O2 consumer contracts don't resolve to a public ip address.

If you connect through a private vpn you will be fine.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Gisbo 

Your mobile data resolves to a gateway IP address, for example mine resolves to (82.132.245.18)  

Unfortunately nearly all mobile networks have implemented CGNAT which hides your IP behind usually a 10.x.x.x IP address  which is then translated onto the Internal gateways   

and then out to the gateways.

So you are going from user private IP to Carrier IP to Public Internet IP.. (RFC1918 TO RFC6598 and NAT44  )

Bare in mind if you use a VPN, you may struggle with latency, as the mobile data connection can be laggy as helo, and added to the latency that VPN's introduce.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 7