Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Upgrade - Credit Check?

lolerz346
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

This might seem like a stupid question but I went through the upgrade path to pre-order the new Pixel 8 Pro this evening and it went through some affordability stuff. My prior knowledge reminds me that O2 does not check for upgrades, but I've migrated from VM to O2 a couple months ago and when I upgraded they mentioned a credit check in the order
I've received an order number as well as legal documents (CCA, PCCI, a link to T&Cs correct) and on my order tracking it has a tick on the "Order confirmed" and "Being processed" and is now on "waiting for launch day". Does this mean I've passed any alleged credit checks etc?
My mind wonders at times like these so any confirmation would be great slight_smile

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@lolerz346 

Sounds good but only O2 can tell you for sure.

Looks like you should contact the sales team as they can help with that – message them on Social Media if that works best for you -on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)
Or you can call them on 0800 081 0255
Thanks

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

lolerz346
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi all. Thank you for the response. I’d just thought that I’d let you know that I did get a hard search from o2 on my credit report today so I’m unsure where this “no credit checks for upgrades” thing came from. My order isn’t cancelled though so I must have passed it. I’ll keep everyone updated if the phone gets shipped next week slight_smile

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@lolerz346 

Historically, O2 did not credit check for upgrades, however, we have noticed a change to this since the Virgin merger, so criteria has now changed.

It still seems to be random though so we are unable to give an accurate answer anymore.

It depends on the system at the time of ordering.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5778 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@lolerz346 

I suspect that O2 are using a computer-based risk profiling tool in order to decide which customers need to be credit-checked and which do not. This is fairly standard in any business offering credit or financial services. 

The problem is that businesses are always concerned about folks who might try to "trick" or manipulate the system. Hence, they will never give details of the tests that they run and what will or will not trigger a formal credit check. It is all very opaque and that is the way that the likes of O2 want it to be.   

Message 5 of 7

lolerz346
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi all. Phone arrived today but I've had a second tracking number added to my account, I doubt that this is the watch considering it's normally done through like a code you claim from google? Any ideas on that or do I need to contact O2? (or see if a package turns up tomorrow)

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

I'd just wait and see what turns up @lolerz346 

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7