cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Unlimited iPhone 3GS & Data question

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok I'm completely clueless when it comes to tariffs and iphones and stuff so please bare with me.

I currently have Pay&Go Unlimited where I top up £15 a month to get unlimited calls and text's to O2 customers. Im completely happy with this tariff as 80% of my friends are on o2 anyway.

Here's where i get confused, im looking to buy an iPhone 3GS (16gb) but i would like to keep my Pay&Go Unlimited tariff. BUT on top of that I'd also like all the perks of having internet access but dont understand how to go about it, will i need to pay more to have online access? do I add a bolt on thing? Im also a bit uncertain about this unlimited data access for 12 months thing.

If someone out there can help enlighten me I'd really appreciate it.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are buying a new iPhone, then you get 12 months free Internet with the SIM card that comes with it. You can switch to the O2 Unlimited tariff and as you do now, get your free calls and texts when you top up £15 a month - no problem. You should also be able to get your number and credit transferred from your old SIM to the new one.

If you are buying a second hand iPhone, then you can pop your existing SIM into the iPhone and obviously O2 Unlimited will just work as normal - after all it's the same SIM card. BUT if you want unlimited data you would have to pay £10 a month for the Web & WiFi bolt-on.

Hope this clears it up... either way you can continue to have your free calls and texts on O2 Unlimited.
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
ahh ok so it seems like ill be transferring all my current tariff to the new sim card which has the 12months free data thing. that sounds really convenient along the lines of what im looking for so thanks for clearing that up. i will now be getting iphone next week when i get paid.

another question, is this data connection a different thing from edge, wifi and 3g? because i dont really understand these terms.. i tried reading it on the apple site but i just got more confused.. is it like data connection = 56k and 3g/edge = broadband speeds??

thankyou for answering my questions i really appreciate it.. i just wanna know what im paying for thats all.
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your iphone will automatically find the strongest data service.
HSPA is the fastest and typically depends on how far away you are from the mast, network congestion (how many people are using the service on the transmitter) and how many buildings / trees are blocking the transmission.
Have a look here http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk/, but bear in mind these coverage maps are from the street not inside your home.
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does this also work for the iPhone 4?
I want to buy my girlfriend a pay as you go iPhone 4 and she is currently on o2 unlimited.
Message 5 of 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
No free web wifi ended 24th June 2010 this is a very old thread
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a pay as you go option of unlimited o2 calls and texts and a some free data on iphone 4? she is currently on o2 unlimited and really uses the unlimited calls and texts.
Message 7 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
All available payg tariffs can be viewed on the o2 shop pages here http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/Pay_and_Go
Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!
I guess as they have o2 unlimited on there I can get it for iphone 4?!
Excellent news!
Message 9 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
But no data included
Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 12