cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Refresh: Paid for device and disconnected airtime, but O2 want to charge the total airtime.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I signed up to a refurbished iphone 6 O2 refresh deal in August and after some few days I decided to cancel the airtime and pay off the device aspect of the contract because I found a better airtime deal. I phone O2 and everything was a success: device was paid off, airtime was cancelled. I contacted the O2 chat customer service regarding a full direct debit of the airtime tariff and I was told it would be refunded when my contract is finally and officially disconnected. I received an email regarding my bill for October and it had about £540 bill due to be debitted to my account. I have been calling O2 this whole morning but the line drops after waiting for about 10 minutes. I do not want that amount to be debitted because I am travelling outside the country and I can't have that taken out of my budget for the trip. I intend on canceling the direct debit details on my account to prevent this from happening. Do you guys think this is the best option, since I can't get through to O2?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
You really need to keep trying CS so they can sort this or else it will just get really messed up.
I would advise against cancelling the DD as this can cause problems too, but if they take the money in error you can recall it under the DD indemnity rules.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
You really need to keep trying CS so they can sort this or else it will just get really messed up.
I would advise against cancelling the DD as this can cause problems too, but if they take the money in error you can recall it under the DD indemnity rules.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

AJ1982
Level 3: Thinker
  • 49 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
At the end of the day if you can't get through to them (and that doesn't surprise me in the least) you only have two options, let them take the money and then argue it out with them. Or cancel the direct debit. Make no mistake o2 don't care one ounce about how this might affect you. I can say that if I were you I'd cancel the direct debit, only of course if you don't actually owe them the money.
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Extremely risky cancelling the direct debit until you are assured you no longer owe the money. It's correct that O2 wont give a damn if it affects credit rating. The OP might however.....if trying for credit on anything else and it's refused. We have seen instances posted here about someone being refused a mortgage as they owed O2 £5.61. . ....Life changing consequences. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, I kept on trying and I finally found the phone number to the pay monthly contract. I got through to someone who advised me to cancel the direct debit and wait for one of the managers to sort the issue out. Apparently, someone did not put a note on my account that it has been cancelled. Thanks for your suggestion. Apologies for the late reply, I was busily holiday shopping when I posted this.
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Wait for a manager to sort out??? Won't happen I'm afraid and you will end up with a marker on your credit file. We've seen it far too often on here. Sorry....

Message 6 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

How ridiculous for CS to tell someone to cancel a direct debit...when we all know this is the very worst thing you can do..Shocked

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7