cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Phone Price comparison (buyer beware)

Anonymous
Not applicable
One of my mates who work at O2 store told me to goto Carphone to buy a phone and avoid at all cost O2 stores because it is to put it polited extremely over priced. So I decided to do a quick market research and you know what? My mate was correct. Find below prices of pay as you go prices on O2 10pound topup. Contract was very complicated with so many different bolt on so I just did a quick comparison of Pay and go only).

Model .................Carphone......... O2
Samsung Tocco Lite -----99.95 -----------127.22
Samsung S3500 ----------59.95 -----------78.29
Nokia 6600 Slide -------129.95 ----------146.80
Nokia 6303 -------------99.95 -----------97.86
Nokia 2630 -------------34.25 -----------24.95
Sony Ericsson ----------49.95 -----------58.71
LG Cookie --------------97.96 -----------127.22
LG KS360 ---------------69.95 -----------88.08
Nokia 5800 -------------199.95 ----------(Only on contract)

Some people say O2 gets different phones for their store, which I mate says is absolutely untrue.

ACCORDING TO MY MATE, ONE OF THE BIGGEST REASON FOR THIS PRICE HIKE IS BECAUSE O2 IS HEAVILY SUBSIDIZING APPLE I-PHONE. ALL THE PROFIT EARNED FROM OTHER PHONES GOES TO PAYING APPLE TO KEEP EXCLUSIVITY. This has not been confirmed but it seems that O2 is unfairly pricing its phones.

ONE LESSON FOR ME IS RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY A PHONE!!!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's been that way for ages.

Last August I upgraded to the Tocco. It was £150 in the o2 store on my tariff, £70 in CPW, then reduced to £50 by the salesman. Needless to say I went with CPW.

SV
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I prefer to pay extra and get good service, CPW aftercare is notorious and shocking so I would happily pay extra to stay away.

p.s, your mate is wrong.
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
What are you talking about? CPW will have to under cut o2 direct prices. Otherwise whats the point of them existing? People will just go to o2 direct if the prices were the same or o2 less AM I RIGHT?

These 3rd party providers will need to under cut the networks to get custom.

Don't you think this will be the main reason and not the Apple Iphone reason?
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its like me wanitng to buy a FORD car for example.

I would assume the FORD will cost more direct from FORD themself than with a independent company or internet based company.

Ahhh poor FORD they are doing this to pay o2 for the Apple Iphone too grin
Message 5 of 7

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions
The added benefit of CPW is generally their phones are generic stock that can be connected to any network and hence unlocked.

O2's pay as you go phones (and the iPhone on any type of connection at any store) are locked to O2
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
_

I bought my first mobile 13 years ago from CPW. There was no internet, O2 was Cellnet, and didn't sell handsets, neither did Vodaphone. T Mobile was something like One to One (?), and Orange was Hutcheson (?), something like that.

I still have today my Motorola from CPW, my second one, the 8700 International (not the Brick - 2 models after that). CPW gave great service, not only to us, the consumers, but the airtime providers too.

Don't forget, CPW etc staff need a high level of expertise, to cover all networks and all handsets.

The market exploded due to cheap texting for children, sorry, non adults, and so eventually O2, Vodaphone etc decided they wanted a chunk of this now huge handset market.

With the market about to explode again, in response to the Smartphone revolution, O2, Vodaphone etc are still niche marketers, wanting to skim the cream off the top of the bottle. Hence their iPhone Exclusive deal. We still rely on CPW etc to cater for the whole diverse handset market.

They deserve some of the cream too, to subsidise all their other products, and their good service.

_
Message 7 of 7