Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance text and charges

Cplittle
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Our son has a mobile like thousands of other teenagers and his account is under his mums name. Recently we became aware he was getting charged for services he hadn’t been subscribing to! The wife contacted O2 and they said they have dealt with the problem and the texts and charges would stop. Today I found out he’s received yet another text from another place claiming he’s subscribed to that too and yet more charges for something he’s not subscribed to!?.
It’s my belief his account or Number has been cloned copied or whatever it’s called and his number is been exploited.
My question is can O2 remove his number and issue a clean untouched number?
Hope you can advise the best course of action. Chris
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122809 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Cplittle 

Sites like FB are notorious for clicking on links and signing up for unwarranted scams etc.   However O2 now has puts steps in place to stop people being signed up inadvertantly. Read these guides pleas Guide: Have you fallen for or been conned into a premium rate scam? What to do next  and Guide: Tips to avoid unexpected charges on your bill 

To answer you question though, O2 will issue a one change of number free of charge. You need to contact customer services for this Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Best of luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Hi @Cplittle
I believe that o2 will change a number once for free.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122809 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Cplittle 

Sites like FB are notorious for clicking on links and signing up for unwarranted scams etc.   However O2 now has puts steps in place to stop people being signed up inadvertantly. Read these guides pleas Guide: Have you fallen for or been conned into a premium rate scam? What to do next  and Guide: Tips to avoid unexpected charges on your bill 

To answer you question though, O2 will issue a one change of number free of charge. You need to contact customer services for this Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Best of luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Hi @Cplittle
If you get a new number don't forget to place a direct to bill bar and premium rate bar on that number. Good luck TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144160 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
You’ll be lucky to get a new unused number these days. Better off fixing the issue with the one you’ve already got.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hello @Cplittle 

Wise words from Community Member @MI5  a new number is not really the answer.

I have a colleague who when issued with a new number was further plagued by

unsolicited calls. There are probably no absolutely new numbers.

Block nuisance numbers if you can.

Look for the reason this may have happened as mentioned Facebook or other social

media accounts.

Then proceed to Bar direct bills to your account as well as Premium numbers.

Good luck with your endeavours.  TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 7

Cplittle
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you all for the information I’ll be passing your suggestions on to the wife when she gets home.
Message 7 of 7