Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not impressed : "Your O2 RPI terms are changing"

DanielCoffey
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been a customer for almost ten thirteen years and as such am (or rather, WAS) on an RPI-only annual price increase. I have just been told by O2 that in a little under two month's time I will be forced to move to RPI+3.9%. Of course I am allowed to quit "without penalty" but I have no right of appeal this forced price rise and unilateral change of the terms of my contract.

I was under the impression that some providers were moving away from RPI + 3.9% so I was wondering if there is a reason for this change by O2?

EDIT : corrected the number of years I had been a customer

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

No worries then @DanielCoffey 

Go for the cheapest you can find 👍

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 11 of 23

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@DanielCoffey 

I can't reply to your PM for some strange reason, so hope you see this.

You need to upgrade, not take a new contract.

I start by logging in to MyO2.

Then go to https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/o2/

Choose the deal you want

This will automatically redirect you to the O2 website

Just follow the prompts and choose the UPGRADE option

Complete the deal and nothing on your account changes except the tariff at the new cheaper cost

Payment date is the same and your next bill will be at a cheaper rate and will be made up of the pro rata cost of your old tariff and your new tariff

The change should show in My O2 within 24 hours

Volt benefits will still apply, iff applicable, as will possibly a 3 month extra such as Disney+

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 12 of 23

DanielCoffey
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - I understood that.

Message 13 of 23

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

Just ask if you have any problems.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 14 of 23

DanielCoffey
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The Upgrade worked perfectly. I do have to confess I was not expecting the process to be as simple as it was. The website was clear and used plain English too so it was not difficult to understand the terms.

Thank you for the assistance!

Message 15 of 23

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

You're welcome mate

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 16 of 23

Bob20
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

To2 are sneaky ******!, last year (2023) they changed my direct debit to 1 payment for my airtime and device plan, instead of the 2 dd per month, now they have applied the rpi , but if you are still on 2 dd’s you only pay the rpi on the airtime plan and not on the device plan, but if you’re on 1 dd you pay the rpi on the lot, how can they do that when your device plan is a financial agreement, will be contacting the financial services ombudsman this week regarding this, in the next 4 months they will lose 4 customers in my family due to this, the ******!

Message 17 of 23

Bob20
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ofcom ruled it illegal against vodaphone. 

© To resurrect my old thread here, Vodafone actually credited my bill each month for the remainder of that contract I talked about in

2019. The credit amount cancelled out the price rise they apply to the hardware as back then they only offered single bills for the whole lot.

It was agreed by Vodafone that a RPI rise on the credit balance still owed for just the hardware is not legal, due to changes brought in by Ofcom also in 2019.

It's a non-issue now as like many other customers upgraded at the end of that contract and Vodafone no longer sell these plans. I make 2 payments - hardware and airtime separately - and only the airtime payment increased this April gone in line with RPI

Hope this helps anyone who may still just about be on these older tariffs, as you should NOT have paid RPI increases on your hardware.

Message 18 of 23

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6342 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

Have you actually lodged a formal complaint with O2 about this @Bob20 ? 

I do not think that the Ombudsman will engage with you until you have gone through O2's own complaints' procedure :-

How to Complain | Help | O2

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf (o2.co.uk)

https://www.o2.co.uk/documents/456036/4246828/Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf

The latter - the Customer Complaints' code - details the escalation of complaints to the Ombudsman but does not seem to suggest that you can approach the Ombudsman with giving O2 the opportunity to rectify the issue first. 👍   

When you leave O2, you might also find this useful :-

Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

Message 19 of 23

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6793 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

You should only see a rise on the airtime element of that DD.

If not something has gone wrong

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 20 of 23