Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National Network Issues

JamesFranklin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know lots of people have asked this question and largely been fobbed off by O2, but I would like to know why the service we receive is of such low quality. 
I have been an O2 customer since 1994, I was a contracted O2/T-Mobile engineer for a while about a decade ago and on the emergency call roster until 2018, I know and understand cell site technology very well. In the last few years the standard of the signal my phones get has fallen off a cliff, back in 2012, cell sites were set at a transmission power of 20W, now they re at around 7W, the only explanation being energy saving to reduce operational costs, the technology has not improved that much in a decade that there is a technology driven explanation for this. 
The service from 02, since it was bought by Telephonica has got steadily worse, the signal strength is abysmal and most of the time I cannot get 4G, or if it says I have 4G I have no internet regardless as the bandwidth is simply not there - they are allegedly rolling out 5G, yet most of the time when my phones state 5G, I have barely 3G in connectivity. 
I have multiple phones, a personal iPhone 13 Pro Max, a personal company phone (Samsung Galaxy S22) and a contract company phone (Samsung A21) - mine are 02 and the contracted one is Vodaphone - it has a signal not matter where I am in the UK. The frustrating thing is that I have a tablet with a GiffGaff sim in it, which uses the O2 network, and this often has a better connection that my phones.
Can someone tell me why the service from O2 is so rubbish these days, does anyone here work for O2 or do they have an email address for anyone in O2 - calling customer service is a lesson is stress and frustration creation - I would not insult useless. 

I am considering my options here and looking at alternative suppliers of service, and insights or observations would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36441 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

This sounds like one that might benefit from @Chris_K's input, given his level of technical knowledge of O2's network and operations, @JamesFranklin - might take a few days to get a reply though, he's a popular guy.

Message 2 of 4

Silverlou
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

changed to O2. because 3 was poor…. Think I have taken a step backwards. Likewise looking elsewhere for better options. Keep getting told signal good … then No internet connections whilst in Nederland… crazy

Message 3 of 4

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6779 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1519 Solutions

@Silverlou wrote:

changed to O2. because 3 was poor…. Think I have taken a step backwards. Likewise looking elsewhere for better options. Keep getting told signal good … then No internet connections whilst in Nederland… crazy

Always best to try PAYG SIM cards to do a real world test

As O2 and 3 are bad you are looking at EE and Vodafone or a Virtual network that runs on them

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 4