cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My problem with O2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi frds,

From past 2 yrs i have given a contract of o2 on my name to a person as i was trying to help him which back fired on me and leaving me in a trouble.He recently went to india without paying huge amount of bill (nearly 1300 pounds) after using it in india and still got an year contract left 35/month for that. As his visa got rejected and he keep on saying that he will be applying again for visa and once he is back he will start paying it seems. Now can any of you suggest me any solution in reducing the bill as even i dont know wot are the security details thats kept and he even changed the home address.

Recently i spoke with that person and he told me that the was unable to access a/c of o2 and says to contact customer service as he is unable to login as well.
In oct he left outstanding bill of 70 pounds and in nov 1230 pounds.

Dont know wot to do as its huge amt to deal with. Any suggestions
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 86488 Posts
  • 594 Topics
  • 4956 Solutions
Dear me, what a mess. Never ever let someone use your details to take out a contract in your name. Unfortunately you are responsible for the debt as its your name on the account. Unless you get payment from your 'friend?'.Obviously the account must be closed down but, not knowing any of the security details, I'm not sure of your best option.If he cannot access the account and there are outstanding bills, the phone has probably been barred and all that follows lands on your door step. Your best bet may be to go down the fraud route with the police but in all honesty, they may be unwilling to do anything as you gave your permission for the person to use your identity. I would consult a lawyer( I think your first consultation would be free) or at the least Citizens Advice. Maybe someone else can give you more advice on this.
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree Steve, the only course of action would be to seek legal redress from the person to who gave use of the phone.
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a thought. If the phone is in your name you could report it stolen and get it barred. OK the phone barring will not work in India but the SIM will be cut off and your friend won't have a way to get a replacement.

This will stop any further charges apart from line rental at least
Message 4 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 86488 Posts
  • 594 Topics
  • 4956 Solutions
The only problem being Dave, he can't pass security to get the phone barred. I think he has spoken to O2 from what I can gather from his post so I'm not sure he can go that route.
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can bar the sim and handset without passing security.

With regards to passing security, go to an o2 store with proof of ID and ask them to contact retail support, you will then be able to fix the address and password.

As people have already said, unfortunately you are liable for the outstanding debt as it is your name on the account and you are ultimately responsible. You can request to lower the tariff down so long as it has passed 9 months from last upgrade and you can ask to be put through the debt assistance team to work out a payment plan over 6 months, although I am afraid this will affect your credit history.
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
The only problem being Dave, he can't pass security to get the phone barred. I think he has spoken to O2 from what I can gather from his post so I'm not sure he can go that route.

Hi frds

thanks for ur advices but actually still i havent spoken to o2 as he said to o2 that he is using that contract on my name and he will be paying it back once he come back. so i guess i dont have option of saying that i lost my sim. the whole bill was generated when he is in india while i am here.

Is there any chance of reducing the total bill and stop them from putting some more extra charges on it as late charges etc. This all happend in the 1st week of dec and i have spoken to the person in india and he says that once he's back he is gona pay back but i dont trust him as he havent got the visa now. Any advice?
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
o2 don't put on late charges.
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't understand why you can't pass DPA if the account is in you're name?

Questions they would ask is things like DD details, last phone, month and year you took the contract out, amount on last bill etc etc. If you know none of the details then as already mentioned take photo ID to an O2 store who will confirm security for you.

If you are the account holder then call now (you can without passing DPA) and ask for a bar to be placed on the Sim card. Make sure they know the phone is out of the UK and put on a 'both way bar' so you can't continue to run up bills for receiving calls while out of the UK.

Unfortunately the debt does fall at your door. You are the account holder and responsible. Fraud would not deal with this case as you knowingly gave the phone to your friend.

Also as already mentioned the phone I am guessing would have some bars on already (maybe contradicting the fact that the bill is still running up more charges all the time??) and the longer you wait the more likely you are for the phone being disconnected. If the phone is disconnected due to debt YOU will have an effected credit rating.

The only way to stop your credit rating being effected is to make some sort of payment on the account and ask for the account to be held into dispute until you/your friend can make a further payment in a months time. If you set up a payment plan that will effect the credit rating too.

Obviously the decision lies with yourself but you do need to act now and not rely on the fact that your friend may or may not be paying the bill. If you don't want an effected credit rating though I would suggest paying O2 some money ASAP.
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would echo all of the advice above, and strongly recommend that you act as soon as possible. Make a note of everybody that you speak to, so that if there is any delay in blocking the account, you can at least demonstrate that you tried to get it blocked earlier (and perhaps dispute any charges that have been incurred since then).

If all else fails then one way to get the account blocked will be to cancel the Direct Debit, but this will impact your credit rating.
Message 10 of 13