cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving phone and contract from one account to another

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have several family phones, all on one O2 account. I want to move my son's phone to his own account so he can take ownership of managing and paying for it.

The contract for his phone doesn't end until May 2018.  I don't want to terminate the contract or change it, just move it from one place to another on the exact same terms.

Does anyone know if there is anyone in O2 who can sort this for me and if so who / how?

Chris

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145427 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27931 Solutions
I only suggested the change at that point in time (May 18) as to avoid any cancellation charges.
If he was to apply now his current contract would end and you would be charged up to May 18 for early termination fees.
If you have a refresh contract though, you can just pay off the device plan and he can apply for his own immediately, but will still have to pass credit checks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 145427 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27931 Solutions
It can only be done when the contract is renewed / upgraded as your son will need to be credit checked for his own contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgraded?  So do you think that if he upgraded to a slightly more expensive contract (it's interesting that doing this seems to present far less of an administrative problem to O2) there may be an opportunity to facilitate the move at that point?

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 145427 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27931 Solutions
I only suggested the change at that point in time (May 18) as to avoid any cancellation charges.
If he was to apply now his current contract would end and you would be charged up to May 18 for early termination fees.
If you have a refresh contract though, you can just pay off the device plan and he can apply for his own immediately, but will still have to pass credit checks.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, just had a live chat and got that same answer.  

Absolutely ridiculous!  

In order to transfer a phone contract from one person to another with no change at all in the contract conditions, price or termination date, I have to pay around £100.  Why would I do that as I can just wait until May 2018 and not pay the £100?

So for the sake of a few minutes on the part of an O2 employee which will satisfy the needs of a longstanding customer with three phone contracts, this intransigence and petty attempt at extortion is the preferred approach to pee off said customer.

Starting to look for another provider who can perhaps facilitate a better customer experience.  After all, I'll have to change everything in May 2018 anyway so I may as well use that time constructively.

Thanks for your input btw 😉

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s the way o2 & their policies work. Technically yes they are all under one account but they are still separate contracts for each user

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 145427 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27931 Solutions
Unfortunately, that is the way O2 do it.....

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 7 of 7