Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile usage on ship

Sheene1976
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm due to sail to Norway next month and I want to know whether I'd have to change any settings to prevent a large bill. I've heard people say that I should switch the data roaming off whilst at sea as my phone will connect to the maritime network (???) and my bill will be huge. I did the same trip in 2019 but from what I can remember, my bill was fine but with the whole Brexit thing, I'm not sure whether anything has changed.

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Sheene1976 

Put the phone into Airplane mode, and just connect to the Ships on board WiFi, otherwise you will get a big bill if you connect to the ships mobile network. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

You shouldn't need to do anything once you reach Norway, but DEFINITELY do not connect to any networks on the ferry @Sheene1976 . The charges for data use on a ferry is ridiculous!

More information on roaming in the link below.

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Sheene1976 

Put the phone into Airplane mode, and just connect to the Ships on board WiFi, otherwise you will get a big bill if you connect to the ships mobile network. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Sheene1976 

Community guide here Guide: Cruise Liners / Aircraft Charges 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4