Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS

Sue15
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I received a notification that I just got charge for sending an MMS message. I never sent any MMS messages. What happen and how do I solve this issue?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Sue15 

Have a look at this thread Guide: Accidental MMS Sending and How to Avoid it  and take note of this part

Adding “Emoticons”

An emoticon is a smiley face, a thumbs up or any other tiny picture that many people like to add to their SMS messages.

THESE ARE THE BIGGEST SINGLE SOURCE OF ACCIDENTAL MMS SENDING.

Adding an emoticon by itself won’t, in many cases, force the message into MMS format, but, what it will do, is eat up your character count.

A simple smiley face or wink will use 90 characters.

With this in mind it is easy to see how just by adding 3 emoticons actually reduces your character count to only 210 letters (that’s not much!)

You can avoid this by inserting a smiley using keyboard characters rather than hitting the emoticon key and choosing a picture. A smile can be written as : ) or a wink as ; ) 

On some phones you will find 2 versions of emoticons (pretty ones and basic ones).

The basic ones will use less characters but you should always keep your eye on character count and auto MMS conversion.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Sue15 

If you didn't send an mms (and it's not showing as such on your phone) you should contact customer service and ask for the charges to be refunded Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Sue15 did you find out what had caused the MMS charges in the end? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 8

Sue15
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi All,

I have tried to contact the contact center but gave up after waiting half an hour on the line.
I message the social media but haven't received any reply yet. So no, I have yet to find out the cause. It's not an accidental message either as no mms message shown sent from my phone. I did not recognise the recipient stated on my bill as well so definitely never sent any message to the number.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the assistance.
Message 5 of 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11993 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
What number did it show on your bill? Any of your contacts?
Have you tried googling it to see if it is a message centre number?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Sue15 

Were you in the UK at the time of the message or abroad?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

Sue15
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The number not listed in any of my contact. It's not message center number and I was in the UK when it happen. There's a random person called me many days before I saw the bill, asking me if I just send her message. I said no because nothing in my sent messages sent to her number. That time I thought it just wrong number. It just only me can access my phone, with fingerprint ID and all, so its not possible for anyone to use my phone as well. This is just really strange.
Message 8 of 8