cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost / Stolen mobile?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, lost mobile and contacted O2 and they blocked sim card and sent new one and put restrictions on the phone but they said "We don't need the IMEI number to place restrictions on your mobile phone." is this true? and if so what kind of restrictions are these would the person still be able to use to phone just not call and text? . Also i was told i can get money off if i buy another phone off of them how would i go about getting this? Thanks
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
The restriction is placed on the service provided to the phone, as O2 have barred your sim no-one can get access to the information within the sim. If the person who found / stole your phone puts a new sim in it the phone will not register on any UK network so calls and texts cannot be made from the phone.
If the phone is an iphone i suggest you change your username and password on itunes as this can be extracted from the phone.

The money off the new phone is an upgrade allowance, you can claim this by ordering a phone through customer services or an O2 store, but you cannot claim the handset discount if you order online.
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok thanks for your help is there not any other way to put any other restrictions on the handset then.
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry no, thats why most handsets have a feature to put a pin number on the handset.
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
..but they said "We don't need the IMEI number to place restrictions on your mobile phone."

No, that's not true at all.

As the previous poster said, they can block the SIM from being used, but to stop the phone being used with another SIM the IMEI would have to be "blacklisted" and that information shared with all the other service providers.

SV
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think what Lewb was actually told is that he doesn't need to know the IMEI as it appears on O2's systems and they can use that information to block the handset.
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thansk for the replys i gave them my IMEI number but they said they did not need it so it this not true?

"We don't need the IMEI number to place restrictions on your mobile phone.

I've looked into this for you and find that your SIM card and mobile phone were restricted when you called us."
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I said before, to the best of my knowledge, o2 would have to have the IMEI in order to block it, otherwise how could they tell the other providers to block it on their own networks?

o2 can disable the SIM, but the phone is still perfectly usable with any other compatable SIM.

It may be wise to call o2 and ask them exactly what restrictions they've put in place.

As previous poster mentioned it could be just that there's been some confusion over wording and they actually mean they have your IMEI - which they should have, from looking at the calls you made:

From The "WhatPhone" website:
"Your network will immediately deactivate your SIM card to prevent unauthorized calls being made.

Your network will also identify a recent phone call made by you on your phone to determine the unique IMEI number of the mobile phone

This unique IMEI number is then entered onto a central database, deactivating your lost or stolen mobile on the network. "

SV
Message 8 of 8