cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to change my account type and phone number (possibly)

paskymaina
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Throwing this out there to see if anyone can offer advice, or choices.

I want to change my contract, well get a new one, as I currently don't have one! So I'm currently "wasting money" on an account that has no contract and a phone that gets hardly any use anymore, with regards to phone calls. Work has changed how I now use my phone, from regular calls to s** all, hence the "wasting money" comment. Paying for something I'm not using. So I'm looking to go over to Pay As You Go from a Pay Monthly account, and as such I might also change my number too.
I've had this number for over 20 years.....! (Time for a change!)

So I'm looking at various options out there

My contract, for my current phone, a Galaxy Note 9 128Gb, expired a few years ago(!!), I got my phone pre-pandemic (2019). Phone still works, even if it got run over by a HGV, the hard shell protective case did its job that day! Good as new apart from some "screen burn". (Cash in or sell online won't get much either way, or swap for a new one?

I've never used that Bolt on thing, except when I've been abroad. Last trip over the pond was in 2017.
I'm also on Virgin media and also never used that Volt thing either, (not that I'm aware of), but I don't use either much now - mobile phone or Virgin Media, in comparison to a few years ago. So essentially I'm looking to possibly downgrade on both.
Reason being, I don't make as many phone or video calls on my mobile now as I used to do, and all I use Virgin for now is Broadband, got a "full house package" as my two new smart TV's (65" Living room, and 32" bedroom) both give me far better choices than Virgin media, with the various apps on them. so I'll be saving a wad of money there, when I downgrade to Broadband only. They, Virgin Media, will be crying in to their drinks when I do the downgrade.
I've been on Virgin Media for over 10 plus years, and I'm also out of contract with them too and, as they've bumped their prices up, I'm going to go the other way and ditch them all except for broadband.

If I do change my number what do I need to do. Do I need a new sim, I assume I do. And If I do and I want to go to Pay As You Go, how and when will the change take place, immediate or on a time scale?

Your thoughts on what would be best. I've fair idea of what, but I'm sounding people out too.

Valid and helpfull comments only please.
I get enough "insults" from family, friends, and people at work.

🙂👍🏼

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@paskymaina 

If you order a new payg sim it will come with a new number https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go 

You just need to top it up to activate it when you get it. Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

A top up is required every month, so your minimum cost is £10 a month.

You will then need to call O2 to cancel your old contract Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 2