Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lied too about "new tablet deal" from O2

Wallywee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Went in store to upgrade my Samsung S8 to a Samsung Note10+ a couple of months ago, under O2 Refresh. The guy who I was talking too asked if I was interested in a tablet and I declined, as I have no need for one. After declining, he then told me that if I was to get the tablet, my entire new Tariff (which was to be £52/m), would be cheaper because of this new deal that O2 are doing with Samsung phones. 

Apparently it halves your overall airtime by 50%, meaning that although I would be paying for two airtime bills with the tablet included, the overall discount would make it cheaper.

I asked if there was a catch and why I would even say no to that offer and he just shrugged and agreed that its a really good offer. 

Anyway, everything goes through fine, I receive both of the items - although no SIM card with the tablet which is strange considering it has a phone number. 

Fast forward a month to my first bill and I see that the overall amount of my bill is well over £60. I wait until it comes out of my bank to be sure, and it is still over £60. 

I then went into the O2 shop to query this and was told (by a different salesman) that the discount isn't applied in my first month and would take place after this first billing period. I told the guy that it would've been nice to of been told that from the beginning, but for ease I just accepted it and left. 

Now the 2nd bill's amount has been taken from my bank and is still £60+ (remember it would've been £52 without the tablet.) 
I phoned the shop right away, but was told that I would need to come in tomorrow or the next day, because their systems were down today. He also reiterated that this deal does exist, as I was and am growing concerned that it's completely fabricated.

I will definitely be asking for the money back from both months as I wouldn't of agreed to the deal if I knew this was going to occur, and if it isn't resolved by my 3rd bill, I will be cancelling the direct debit with O2. 

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wallywee
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 

Nope a family deal was never mentioned, just that it was a new deal that O2 were offering people upgrading to select Android smartphones - he even told me that Samsung phones got a larger discount. 

However there is a silver lining to this now and I must commend the O2 Customer Services. I phoned them this morning and explained what had happened and the lady on the phone was incredibly nice and very helpful. She understood my frustration and agreed to refund me the airtime for the tablet from the first 2 months, aswell as applied a £10/m discount to my tariff - honouring the deal that the salesman had promised me in store. 

I was livid with O2 at first, especially after being a customer of theirs for 8 years; but now realise that its just down to the slimey salesmen that work in the stores and try to hit their targets. She even said that they have no idea about any of the offers that the stores offer their customers, so she couldn't even tell me what offer they were talking about!

Thanks for your response - looks like I will be staying with O2 afterall (but staying away from their stores and shady sales reps!)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Wallywee 

Sounds like they are suggesting the family plan discount, which you should have applied for, however it's not 50% off the first additional connection https://www.o2.co.uk/family-plan

If you get stonewalled again by the store, come back with more info regarding the above and we can get our community managers to look into it further for you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Wallywee
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 

Nope a family deal was never mentioned, just that it was a new deal that O2 were offering people upgrading to select Android smartphones - he even told me that Samsung phones got a larger discount. 

However there is a silver lining to this now and I must commend the O2 Customer Services. I phoned them this morning and explained what had happened and the lady on the phone was incredibly nice and very helpful. She understood my frustration and agreed to refund me the airtime for the tablet from the first 2 months, aswell as applied a £10/m discount to my tariff - honouring the deal that the salesman had promised me in store. 

I was livid with O2 at first, especially after being a customer of theirs for 8 years; but now realise that its just down to the slimey salesmen that work in the stores and try to hit their targets. She even said that they have no idea about any of the offers that the stores offer their customers, so she couldn't even tell me what offer they were talking about!

Thanks for your response - looks like I will be staying with O2 afterall (but staying away from their stores and shady sales reps!)

Message 3 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Pleased you got it sorted in the end @Wallywee thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Good to hear @Wallywee 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10665 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hey @Wallywee
Brilliant that o2 customer services were able to put things right for you. Thanks too for letting the o2 community forum know the outcome.
Welcome to the o2 community forum. 😁🎅☃️

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 6