cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let down and betrayed

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi,

my wife aquired 2 phones on contract with o2, one for each of us, as the credit check was used for her credit card both the phones are in her name and mine cant be changed over to my name.  I pay my bill every month and a year later my wife has b ecome overly possessive trying to spy and track me at every turn.

She has now phoned o2 to request a record of all called numbers and text messages from my number, dating back to aug 2013!! she has falsly stated the records are to investigate  fraudulant activity she suspects has been commitrted by me on her credit card.

C an she do this as the phone is in her name whilst i pay the bill?? She threatens to have me constantly cut off with one phone call to o2.

Please help, what are my rights if any

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
In a word. YES.

As the contracts are in her name she has total responsibility for them. You may pay the bill but the legal liability is hers so yes she can ask for all those details and yes she could cut the phone off but would have termination fees to pay.

Of course you could technically stop paying for them as they are both her contracts. Not suggesting you should and wouldn't want to make your situation worse.

Of course the important thing to remember though is if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear. Many couples are very open about everything with each other.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
In a word. YES.

As the contracts are in her name she has total responsibility for them. You may pay the bill but the legal liability is hers so yes she can ask for all those details and yes she could cut the phone off but would have termination fees to pay.

Of course you could technically stop paying for them as they are both her contracts. Not suggesting you should and wouldn't want to make your situation worse.

Of course the important thing to remember though is if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear. Many couples are very open about everything with each other.
Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I suggest you get a PAYG phone for "any other business" wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks, its the sheer cheek of it, i have nothing to hide but divorce is a very welcome party to come.

we started out fine but slowly her paranoia of other woman has mentally deranged her to the point i fear for our pet bunny!!

cheers,  time for new phone ...she camn do as she pleases with other slight_smile

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I suggest you get a PAYG phone for "any other business" wink

Talking from experience Rich lol

Good Idea

(Only kidding of course)

Message 5 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

In terms of the contract you have no rights I'm afraid even though you pay the bill from your account. She has every right to see the phone records and even if you got a phone as part of the contract, it's legally hers.

To change the phone into your name you would have to call O2 together and she could cancel the contract at any time. Maybe this would be the best way forward but she would be liable for any outstanding payments to the end of the minimum term.

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Personally as it looks like you guys might be going your separate ways, if the number is not precious to you, then I would follow @MI5's advice and get a phone in your own right. That way it is yours and yours only.

@jonsie is also 100% correct with what he says.
Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well.... what a sad tale of jealousy and paranoia.......but she is well within her rights to request any info she wants, as others have said... she is the account holder.:smileysad:

We always advise people to get contracts in their own names. What may seem a good idea at the time often is not.... when the relationship fails..

Best of luck with any plans you may have for the future...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Truly a sad situation to be in.

I hope things turn around for you.

Message 9 of 9