cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lessons for o2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This week I changed my iPhone 4s over to the Simplicity tarif as I am happy with my phone and didn't want to upgrade. The process was interesting and highlighted some issues with o2 Customer service which I would like to mention.

(1) I was sold a plan priced at £21. When I asked if they could guarantee no price rises, they then confessed that they had got around the OFCOM ruling and would be increasing the price during the contract. They then offered me a "Loyalty Discount" of £5. Hovever, I later found out that this was a lie and anyone could get this discount on a special offer currently running!

(2) They sent me out 2 new SIM cards which I have not used. Absolutely no idea why.

(3) They kept going on about 4G. Not sure what that has got to do with my iPhone 4s.

(4) They put me on a non-iPhone data plan so I had no data for 2 days and my Visual Voice Mail stopped working. Also, I could not receive text messages.

(5) When I complained about (4), they switched me to an iPhone data plan. They were unable to explain why they put me on a non-iPhone plan despite knowing I had an iPhone.

(6) When they changed my data plan, they added a 5GB data bolt-on at the cost of £5 a month. I did not ask for this. When I discovered what they had done, I complained and the agent agreed it had been done illegally and that they would report the agent who had done it, and their account would be suspended!

Well, at least it all works now, but not great really, and I await my first bill with interest!

Phil

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
Your first bill should be visible in your My O2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and Welcome to the forum,

Am I right to assume you contacted O2 via Live Chat.

They are non uk outsourced callcentres who can get muddled up and things are sometimes lost in translation.

Its always best to speak to Uk Customer services by phone.

There are recent threads that talk about your points.

They are not really getting round anything regarding Ofcom and have adjusted their T&C to suite what happened.

O2 are wanting as many people on 4G as possible as its the next new thing and prefer to have everyone ready as they are improving their network structure by 2017.

Network Future Link : http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/network-coverage/the-next-big-thing

Yes your iPhone 4s is not 4g but you may at some point buy or upgrade to a 4g compatible one.

I think they send out sim cards sometimes so you can pass them around to friends or have them as back ups. Also the new sims are 4g compatible. Older ones are only 3g.

If the iPhone 4s is listed in your My02 as your primary phone then they should have seen that and made sure your account as set accordingly. Thank fully its not normally a long drawn out process to change this.

Your point 6 is inexcusable and obviously should not have been attached to your account without your permission or you requesting it.

Ofcom thread {well one of them} http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Ofcom-response-to-O2/m-p/625638/highlight/true#M...

4G thread {again one of them} http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/4G-Text-Campaign/td-p/621674

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they are getting around the spirit of the Ofcom ruling and failing to explicitly inform customers of the built-in price rises. Is it really that hard to offer a fixed price contract for 12 months?

They steer people towards the online chat. There is no excuse for incompetence, lies and fraud irrespective of the communication channel used.

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes they are getting around the spirit of the Ofcom ruling and failing to explicitly inform customers of the built-in price rises. Is it really that hard to offer a fixed price contract for 12 months?

They steer people towards the online chat. There is no excuse for incompetence, lies and fraud irrespective of the communication channel used.

Hi,

As you will see from the other recent threads discussing Ofcom and the guidelines o2 is not breaking any laws. The new T&C are in their in house magazines and online.

Section 5. Charges for our Services refers to this which is within o2 Mobile phone contracts which you agreed to when you signed up.

RPI info http://www.o2.co.uk/desktop/prices

If you feel they are committing what Ive highlighted in your reply then its your option to prove this and act accordingly.

Credits to @@Anonymous 

This may be helpful reading http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/How-to-potentially-leave-your-contract-penalty-free/td-p/617612

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excuse me for asking, but are you paid by o2?

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Excuse me for asking, but are you paid by o2?

Morning @Anonymous 

No i'm a customer just like you who logs in to help and learn.

Message 7 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

They steer people towards the online chat. There is no excuse for incompetence, lies and fraud irrespective of the communication channel used.

There is no spirit of the ofcom decission it is a guideline and o2 have fully complied .

The consumer group WHICH falsly claimed fixed is fixed campaign had been won and the media hyped it.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 8