Did you mean: 

Keeping your number form.

hopeleanne23
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

I am currently with giff-gaff, waiting for my new O2 sim to arrive in the post. When it does, I would like to port my existing number over to O2. However, I am finding the first page of the form a bit confusing. 

On the first page, it asks for my tariff (I assume this is the plan I have just taken out), phone model etc

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number/online-form

Then it asks for my mobile number. Is this the O2 number currently associated with the SIM (even though I am not currently using it and will not do so until the port is complete?) Because in MYO2, I have used my CURRENT giff-gaff mobile number (and the one I wish to keep) as my contact telephone number. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@hopeleanne23 

It's any number you can be contacted on.

Most people use their current number.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@hopeleanne23 

It's any number you can be contacted on.

Most people use their current number.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

hopeleanne23
  • 13 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oh brilliant, thank you - but I take it the tariff details should relate to the plan I've just taken out, even if the mobile number doesn't? 

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@hopeleanne23 

Yes, that's correct.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

hopeleanne23
  • 13 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry, another question - I am a new customer who has never had a contract with O2 before. I made an account at checkout. I received a text saying that my SIM had been dispatched and to text SWAP to 202 when it arrives.

How can this be correct if I am a new customer, and the new SIM already has a number? Can I just ignore this message and proceed to port my number across once it arrives?

The plan is to port my number across, waiting until my Giff Gaff signal dies before putting the new sim in my phone. Is this okay? I assume my O2 Sim won't need activating? 

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@hopeleanne23 

Yes, ignore that as it won't work.

You need to follow to port in procedure but may need to chase up O2 when your new sim arrives.

Your new O2 sim will be activated on arrival.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

hopeleanne23
  • 13 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Would you say it's best to ring them/contact them via socials to do the port, or should filling in the form be enough?

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@hopeleanne23 

Best to call.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

DanniGM
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I am going through the same process as you right now and had the same questions, so your post has been very useful.

Can I ask how long it took O2 to switch the number over? I wish to start using my new card asap but also want to keep the number so would like to time it.

Message 9 of 9