cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep number across O2 contracts.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

This is a quick follow-up to a live chat I just had with a representative. Backstory:

I've seen a Note8 on O2 on mobiles.co.uk, unlimited minutes, unlimited messages and 10gb of data - £150 up front cost, £39 a month. (plus the insurance extras they'll probably throw in and I'll cancel immediately...)

The customer service rep says that if I order this, and call them when I receive the phone, I can pay the remaining O2 contract off on my phone, and they'll be able to sort out the number swap for me.

I've talked to a few friends who have said that they have tried to the same thing, with different phones and have been unable to do so. Ie: you can't transfer your number from an O2 contract, to another O2 contract ordered from a third party supplier.

Just wondering if anybody can offer any practical experience as to whether this will be an issue or not before I drop the money on then new contract.
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
You can do it but I suggest you call O2 yourself to do it rather than trusting it to CPW.
Once you move your number it will immediately cancel your current contract and generate a final bill which may include any penalty fees if your current contract has not reached its minimum term.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
You can do it but I suggest you call O2 yourself to do it rather than trusting it to CPW.
Once you move your number it will immediately cancel your current contract and generate a final bill which may include any penalty fees if your current contract has not reached its minimum term.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12055 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Yes - did exactly the same last March when I upgraded.
Used Mobiles on a deal, paid the last payment on my old phone contract, transferred number.
At the time I wondered why it wasn't going through and it was because the last payment hadn't cleared through the system.
My advice - make sure you see a 0 balance on the phone part before doing it.
Also be aware that you will likely pay a month on both during the switch over - unless you clock it exactly right.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 4

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous welcome to our forum! smiley Please can you update us on your progress? Did you get all the info you needed?

Thanks @MI5 and @gmarkj for your help! smiling

Message 4 of 4