cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with download speeds, Nintendo switch only, every other device seems fine.

XanderPanda
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

After doing a chat, calling and getting hung up when I was placed on hold, and now struggling to get back to an agent, I hope someone could offer some guidance.

In a nutshell the download speeds I have for the Nintendo switch on the unlimited package are slow, 5-7 Mbps (Ie less than a megabyte per second). However every other device, TV, PC, Xbox, phone etc have been fine and download at speeds I would expect.

I've done updates, power cycled, done an ethernet connection to the router, and all are slow. However when I tried another network it worked fine.

The advisor on the phone mentioned "provisioning", but would that explain why it effects just the device? If so what do I need to do?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@XanderPanda 

There are widespread issues reported with the flaky wifi chipset on the Switch, even on 1Gig BB, it can be flaky from my own experience.... 

And nothing to do with o2. 

Have a look at this guide and in particular switching from the congested 2.4Ghz network to 5Ghz

Nintendo Switch Download Speed Slow? Here's How To Fix It - Guide - Nintendo Life

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

madasaf1sh
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@XanderPanda 

There are widespread issues reported with the flaky wifi chipset on the Switch, even on 1Gig BB, it can be flaky from my own experience.... 

And nothing to do with o2. 

Have a look at this guide and in particular switching from the congested 2.4Ghz network to 5Ghz

Nintendo Switch Download Speed Slow? Here's How To Fix It - Guide - Nintendo Life

Message 2 of 7

XanderPanda
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there, thank you for your reply. I tried the guide a while back, rather than use WiFi I do use an ethernet cable from the switch direct just to rule out Wifi, also tried someone else's switch as well just to rule out hardware issues and again the same problem.

Prior to this we where on three, which was not reliable (hence changing to O2) but downloads on the switch did occur normally. No equipment has changed, even tried tethering to my phone which is on O2 via wifi, incredibly slow again, but fine on Three.

This feels like it is some sort of issue with O2, maybe a routing issue at their end but just for nintendo?Just to confirm as well, Nintendo switch is Permanently connected directly to the router via an ethernet cable and the ethernet cable adaptor.

Message 3 of 7

madasaf1sh
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@XanderPanda 

I very much doubt it, as the switch is not tied to the o2 network in anyway shape or form... 

Who is your ISP / Device you are you using as your router?

Message 4 of 7

XanderPanda
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ISP is O2, previously it was Three, due to where we live we need a mobile router, it is a Huawei model:b535 - 232.

The downloading on the switch was fine until we swapped the SIM card, that was the only change which occurred….

Message 5 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@XanderPanda 

Read the T&C's for unlimited data use.

Routers cannot be connected to mains and traffic is monitored etc, so you may be restricted by O2 if your use does not comply. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/unlimited-tariff-terms

3.3 Unlimited UK Data sold on handset or SIMO contracts must only be used in mobile devices that do not require to be plugged in order to work. Any O2 mobile broadband Unlimited UK Data tariffs must only be used with the devices that they are sold with. Where other devices are used that do not comply with these terms, we reserve the right to transfer you to a more suitable plan.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

DB2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, sorry to bump this thread! I am having the exact same issues as you. Did you resolve the issue and if so how? Tearing my hair out! Thanks! 

Message 7 of 7