Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone SE Unlock-why a non o2 sim required

Donfor39
Level 3: Thinker
  • 31 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Chose to unlock my SE this afternoon amazed I got an e-mail an hour or 2 later advising my phone is unlocked as soon as I insert a non o2 sim and see confirmation on screen.

Slightly confused as I don't have any non o2 sims

SE is going to a 3rd party recycle

Can I delete my icloud settings etc and will it be unlocked for the recycle company.

Hope it doesn't effect my soon to be delivered iPhone 8 as I want to keep my mob number.

Thanks in advance

iPad Pro 64gb silver

iPhone 6 64gb silver.
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just had another thought......
If you have two factor auth turned on and your SE is going for recycling before you get your 8, turn it off, or else your login codes will be getting sent to the SE which you won't be able to see.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No need to insert any sim as with Apple, the IMEI is unlocked on Apple's servers, so it will be forever unlocked from now on.
You can still sign out of iCloud, turn off find my iPhone and delete the device from your account.
It will have no effect whatsoever on your new phone or phone number as it is specific the the device which has been unlocked only.
How to keep your number here, but if just doing an upgrade, your number will update automatically anyway.
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just had another thought......
If you have two factor auth turned on and your SE is going for recycling before you get your 8, turn it off, or else your login codes will be getting sent to the SE which you won't be able to see.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 8

Donfor39
  • 31 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks mi5
I'll print my recycle label tonight.
Then prep SE tomorrow when I hope to come home to delivered 8.
Excellent as I am knowledgable with icloud+find my phone etc. Nice to know my SE is unlocked as Mus.Mag are expecting.
iPad Pro 64gb silver

iPhone 6 64gb silver.
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Enjoy your new phone, which incidentally, can now be unlocked too if needed.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Donfor39
  • 31 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks almost forgot I do have 2 step or factor auth switched on via SE+Ipad pro 10.5
Since switched off via IPad Pro/Apple Sign in site.
I'll then print the SEreturn label
SE nice smart compact device for almost a year though 8 will last me 2 year contract
iPad Pro 64gb silver

iPhone 6 64gb silver.
Message 6 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Donfor39 I don't want to rain on your parade, but if you ordered your iPhone through O2 online, don't be surprised if you don't receive it tomorrow. O2's stock reporting isn't live, and is notoriously inaccurate.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Bambinowrote:

@Donfor39 I don't want to rain on your parade, but if you ordered your iPhone through O2 online, don't be surprised if you don't receive it tomorrow. O2's stock reporting isn't live, and is notoriously inaccurate.

You just thought you would throw a bad Apple into the mix......😂

Message 8 of 8