cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 3G S ripoff

Anonymous
Not applicable
My contract expires tomorrow and I have had quite a few texts asking me to upgrade.

I am waiting for the Nokia N97 to be released but the sales rep was really trying to push the 3GS to me. So I had a little play with one and I must admit, it was a nice phone so I decided to look a little more into it.

I currently pay £30 a month and get free unlimited internet (Blackberry plan) and dont really want to go any higher. So I was looking at he £35 a month contract as that was the closest to what I pay. I usually buy new phones every 6 months so a 24 month contract does not appeal to me.

On an 18 month contract, the 3GS 16gig costs £184.80 and £34.26 over 18 months. I was thinking this was a little excesive so looked a little bit more into it.

The total cost of this package is £801.48

You can also get the 3GS 16gig on PAYG at a total price of £440.40, then you have to top up £10 a month and then you get 12 months free unlimited web and wifi access.

The total cost of this package is £560.40! Or to keep it a fair comparison, keeping it for 18 months @ £10 a month would total £620.40

This means you are saving £181.08 over 18 months AND you arnt tied to the phone/deal for the full 18 months and can cancel at any time.

I understand that calls arnt included in the prices but as I never use more than £2 of calls on my current contract, the additional cost is negligable.

Can anyone tell me why I would bother tying myself to an 18 months contract that would cost me £10 a month over 18 months more than what it would cost me on PAYG?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
No. I certainly can't slight_smile

These prices have been discussed to death in the iPhone forum.

I suppose folk who go for the contract can't afford the £440 up front, or don't want to be messing about with "topping-up". Or of course they use most of their minutes & texts allowances.

I'm on a standard contact (not iPhone) with my iPhone and will be going onto Simplicity with web bolt-on in Feb 2010.

By the way, the n97 may be available soon through third parties, but there's no concrete evidence o2 direct or instore will get it - especially with the new exclusive Palm Pre deal signed off.

SV
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that O2 WON'T be stocking the N97. They've blown their subsidy budget on the iPhlop 3GS and can't afford to subsidize N97 handsets. The same happened last year with the N96.
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can also get the 3GS 16gig on PAYG at a total price of £440.40, then you have to top up £10 a month and then you get 12 months free unlimited web and wifi access.

Its better than you think. You don't need to top up £10 every month to get unlimited web and wifi. You only need to do that once your 12 months are up, if you want to keep the unlimited web and wifi.
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is no n97 on o2 and the calculations do not include the £10 extra you pay after month 12 just for the internet bolt on alone (not credit). the n97 looks cheap in black but very nice in white. the N97 on paper is better than the iphone, but then so is the lg arena, 5800,viewty smart, renoir & tocco ultra etc ...all of which are available on cheaper tarrifs
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 is such a rip off when it comes to the Iphone 3GS. Initially, I was thinking of getting one but I did not due to the price. Look, you can get a PAYG for around £550 (32GB). Don't you think it is much worth while considering the fact that you are on a monthly paid contract right now? If you really need one, get on off ebay or through play.com. They have factory unlocked Iphone 3GS which is significantly much better than O2's offering... Well, it is still cheaper at around £650 for the 32GB version.
Message 6 of 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
petemitchell play.com is £899.99 for a 32gb sim free http://tinyurl.com/kunrnv
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 7