Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 12 pro weak signal

jcf964
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I got the new iphone 12 pro on 23/10/20 and all seems ok, but the signal seems to be much weaker. The phone either has just 1 bar of 4g or goes to 3g all the time and also most of the time when the phone is connected to wifi it shows it's connected to o2 wifi calling so there seems to be something not quite right. All the settings are correct and it does connect to the internet, but speed tests show anything between 1 and 5meg download.

I put the sim into my old samsung phone and the status shows 4g or 4g+ and the speeds on speedtest are back up to around 10-30 meg.

Tried rebooting the iphone and turning flight mode on and off to see if the signal picks up but it still seems that the iphone is not picking up full bars of 4g.

This is when i'm at home and the coverage checker shows excellent coverage so i can't understand why a brand new iphone is not picking up as strong a signal as the samsung s20.

Also out and about locally it switches from 1 bar 4g to full bars 3g quite often whereas putting the o2 sim in the samsung shows constant full 4g and rarely drops to H or H+

Just wondered if this was a common problem and whether it will improve with an ios update seeing as these are new phones.

I don't want to have to cancel within the 14 days as the phone is fine,it's just the issue with data speeds particularly when I've gone for an unlimited data tariff.

Many thanks 🙂 

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jcf964
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Been out and about today and tested the signal on the iphone 12 pro in various locations and it seems ok, good 4g mostly and picked up 5g a couple of miles away and got a 280meg and a 245meg download. Must just be the house area that's got a weaker signal than before.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@jcf964 

Firstly you need to call O2 and check if iData is applied to your account.

iPhones work on iData, not standard data like your Samsung so it sounds like that bolt on is missing.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

jcf964
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

The apn settings show that it is idata.o2.o.uk and username vertigo etc.

The phone was a brand new new connection from o2 so should it not be automatically working?

Message 3 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jcf964 

You could try a new sim, even though yours currently works in the Samsung

Get one instore or by calling O2. All numbers in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@jcf964 wrote:

The apn settings show that it is idata.o2.o.uk and username vertigo etc.

The phone was a brand new new connection from o2 so should it not be automatically working?

It's an account bolt on not your apn I'm talking about and no, O2 regularly "forget" to add it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Also @jcf964 

If your're not in a 5g area, turn 5g off in settings.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

jcf964
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks 🙂

Have rang 202 but they don't seem to know what an idata bolt on is and just said that 4g is on my account as well as 4g calling and  wifi calling, so I've left it at that because they didn't seem to get what i was ringing about and wanted to put me through to cancellations and returns 

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Where the hell are O2 getting these people from these days.
Call again and hope you get someone who knows what day it is.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jcf964 

Maybe one of our account advisors will be able to help here

@O2Richard @Thomaso1 are you able to assist please?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 16

O2Richard
  • 35 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hey @Cleoriff  Thanks for the tag

Hey @jcf964 

I will drop you pm so i can get this resolved for you

Former Guru team member
Message 10 of 16