cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel both misold and cheated by O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never experienced being misold on the level that O2 has done to me and wondered if anyone has had a similar experience?

I had a mobile with o2 for years and have always used them ( I have tablets and other devices also) when my iphone 4 came for renewal I did the standard thing and handed it to my son. I changed the contract to a pay monthly and insisted to the person on the phone that on no account did I want to enter a contract as it was for my son (I am sure this was recorded) and he would likely break the phone. I needed the ability to cancel in that eventuality. 

In August 2015 he informed me that his data wasnt working and hadnt been for months. We went into the O2 shop in aberdeen for a chat and I informed them of the issue. I said he was on simplicity or something called that and I asked if we could reduce the amount at the same time they repaired his 3g issues. Again I said it had to be a simplicity type contract as I didnt want to be tied into a contract (especially as it was sim only).

In November the inevitable happened and the phone was broken beyond economic repair. We went into Aberdeen and my wife agreed to buy a new phone and hand her iphone 5c to my son. Unfortunatly because the phone was tied to EE we had to change providers

I noted on my account this week that payments had been coming off since Dec last year and thought we better cancel the sim immediatly and contacted o2 to get a refund and was told n that I was tied into a contract until august 2016. I pointed out I have never agreed to any such contract. I asked for a copy of my contract and see that someone has clicked to say I have signed but from doing the process for a tablet just a few weeks ago I never clicked on any mouse to approve something in my name. 

From speaking to the representatives online they tell me basically to pay £50 to get out the contract but that seem insane from something I specifically asked not to happen (ie a tied contract) I feel that I have been misold a product and someone has signed a contract on my behalf against my specific wishes. 

I wonder if someone has had a similar experience and how to resolve this. Such a shame that this will sicken me from using o2 products in the future. Worst bit is I dont even have the sim now

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Complaints link here - it is your only chance.
They will investigate the circumstances of your contract http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Complaints link here - it is your only chance.
They will investigate the circumstances of your contract http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

You could have just unlocked the 5C from EE and put in the O2 sim rather than change providers.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

How is it a mis sold contract if you never actually asked for a contract because they surely wouldn't of sold you one if you say you never signed anything.

Please follow the link given to you by @MI5

Message 4 of 6

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
So, it sounds like when your original contract ended, you were running on a month on month basis, but later changed tariff. It should have been explained that the new contract was for 12 months. However, they try and say you were given paperwork, but when I took out two new sims for the girls tablets I didn't get paperwork, it was emailed to me. If I was a betting man, I would say that after making a complaint (as per mi5s post) I'm confident they will let you leave without paying he 50 bucks.

I don't think you were mis sold per say, but I think there's been some confusion that's lead to this issue.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The email maybe went into your spam folder but you could have checked the contract at any time by signing into My O2. It seems you were given a 12 month contract instead of a rolling one month contract. It's a le late to be checking now i know but the complaint route is your only way of getting a resolution that you would be happy with. It's not something customer service or a store could help you with I'm afraid.

Message 6 of 6