cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long is the cooling off period?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been unable to find this information. To my knowledge, all contracts have a 2 week cooling off period, is this right?
I should mention that I purchased my contract through Carphone Warehouse.

Having several problems which make me think this contract just isn't right for me:

1.  The phone I got (Nexus 5) is showing pretty bad battery life so far.

2.  I have 1GB inclusive data, in three days of usage I have used 200MB.  Doesn't sound that much but based on that I can expect to hit my limit at around the 2 week mark.

I find it particularly strange because I am a light user, mostly web browsing the usual sync features on the phone.  My previous contract (with Three) only had a 500MB data limit and I never once hit that limit despite the same sort of usage.  Is 4G somehow using more data?

4.  Worst of all, reception has been dreadful so far. At home I get 4G, it never goes above 2 bars (usually 1 bar) but is useable. At other locations I use, I tend to not get 4G at all and even worse I often get a bad signal wherever I go.

In fact at some of the places I spend most of my time I have been unable to make or receive calls at all and I get lots of messages from O2 that I have missed calls.

I was pretty aggravated from the start as some **bleep**-up between O2 and Carphone Warehouse meant it took 2 days to get my SIM activated, which is hardly a good way to start.

I would like a few more days to keep testing the battery and 4G but don't want to leave it too close to the end of the cooling off period.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

As already said it's seven days if ordered online or via telephone in which you can change your mind, however there is a 14 day network gurantee.....

Coverage guarantee

No reception? No problem

On the rare occasion the new phone or dongle you're so excited about can't get any reception where you live, there's no need to panic. We'll take care of it. Just return it to us within 14 days* and we'll find you a network that works where you live. 

The coverage guarantee is for new contracts only and does not apply to upgrades.

If you have a reception issue at home, just pop into your nearest Carphone Warehouse storewith:
  • Your product, preferably in its original packaging along with any accessories or free gifts that came with it
  • Proof of your ID and address so we can sign you up to a new contract

If you bought online or over the phone we can sort your issue more quickly if you visit us in store. But if you'd prefer to talk on the phone, call us on 0870 111 6565^.

Click here to check the network coverage in your area

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The cooling off period with O2 is 7 working days, so I would guess it's the same with CPW, but you would need to read their terms:

http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view%28%29=c{f0022f20-041a-11df-f38f-00000...

I think most people will clobber the data setting up a new phone, it should settle down once you what's running and what doesn't need to run.

I take it you're in a good 4G area and there are no faults listed here:

http://status.o2.co.uk/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

I live well inside Sheffield so *should* be a good 4G area and the status page tells me everything should be running normally.

Basically, if 4G goes off (which it does frequently) I have no internet access at all, even when the signal icon is showing g, h or e (3g, hspa, edge respectively I assume) I just cannot connect to any web pages at all.

The calls are more bothersome and now even at home it's hit and miss whether people get through to me and when they do the call is crackly and often drops mid-call.

Certainly not something I can live with at all.

Visited Carphone Warehouse and they didn't seem to know the answer for sure but it appears I have a (maybe) 7 or 10 day cooling off period for the phone itself and 14 days for network issues.

So I have a good week to keep testing and although data usage may well calm down, it doesn't look like I will be able to keep the contract with such bad reception.

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

As already said it's seven days if ordered online or via telephone in which you can change your mind, however there is a 14 day network gurantee.....

Coverage guarantee

No reception? No problem

On the rare occasion the new phone or dongle you're so excited about can't get any reception where you live, there's no need to panic. We'll take care of it. Just return it to us within 14 days* and we'll find you a network that works where you live. 

The coverage guarantee is for new contracts only and does not apply to upgrades.

If you have a reception issue at home, just pop into your nearest Carphone Warehouse storewith:
  • Your product, preferably in its original packaging along with any accessories or free gifts that came with it
  • Proof of your ID and address so we can sign you up to a new contract

If you bought online or over the phone we can sort your issue more quickly if you visit us in store. But if you'd prefer to talk on the phone, call us on 0870 111 6565^.

Click here to check the network coverage in your area

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Quite generous of CPW to give extra for lack of signal, I wonder if it's a full money back if they can't find a network that does the job?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 5