cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long is an SMS before it becomes an MMS?

HyFy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I am on a "Data Big Bundle" and have accrued lots  of Text credit.  Up until recently and using a Sony Xperia Z5 I would regularly send long (e.g. 8 x 160) sms messages and they would be sent within my credit. I have just changed to a Samsung S10 and now find that even a moderate message is being charged at 45p as an MMS.  There are no emoji's and no media attached.

• Is this equipment specific and if so is there a toggle to change back? I can't find one.
  • Is this is a policy change by O2?  If so I can't recall being told!
  • If all else fails what is the maximum number of characters before an sms becomes an mms? I guess that the only way to check, as you are typing, is to block MMS and deal accordingly when the message won't go!!

HyFy

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Guide: Accidental MMS Sending and How to Avoid it 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Guide: Accidental MMS Sending and How to Avoid it 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions
@HyFy

On Samsung devices it is any text over 160 characters

The below is from Samsung support:
https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/mobile-devices/why-do-my-sms-messages-sometimes-change-to-mms-....

The latest Samsungs dont seem to have the option.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 8

HyFy
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks Madasaf1sh. I will get around it somehow!!
Message 4 of 8

HyFy
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks MI5 - I wish I had known about this before buying the Samsung. I used to send lots of long sms - not now!!
HyFy
Message 5 of 8

HyFy
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I have been askd to nominate an "ACCEPTED ANSWER".  My problem is: what has to be ACCEPTED and what is ACCEPTABLE.  I guess I am far from happy at having spent '00s of GBPs to find that I am restricted in a fashion that other users of other makes are not.  I certainly won't be buying another SAMSUNG until they nominate an ACCEPTABLE answer.  It may not be o2's issue but it is mine so...

I sent my daughter a long SMS the other day which I had to split into three parts of just less than 480 chars. each.  She got so bored with it she hasn't bothered to reply. Who can blame her?  I need SMS to communicate with computers and so I don't have the option of third party text messaging which overrides the SMS software. Hey ho - RTFM before buying...

HyFy

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

SMS (Short Message Service) is as the name implies, for short messages. 

It's also old technology that was first introduced used in 1992 to a standard that was laid down in 1985.

They haven't changed much since except for the introduction of MMS which was designed to enable more data to be sent over the sms platform via an enhanced message service.

Consumer needs have now moved on but sms technology hasn't. Alternative messaging platforms are available for larger data transfers now and are better suited to messages that are, shall we say, long winded wink

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions