cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting charges for travel data when I haven't bought any?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

So twice last week when I had to travel across the border from the North of Ireland to the Republic of Ireland I received charges under 'Things you've bought'. I did not have my mobile internet turned on whatsoever as I was using the Wi-Fi on the coach and did not text or call once I crossed the border. So where could these charges be coming from and how can I avoid them? I will be travelling to Holland next week for 2 weeks and will need my mobile on to receive texts and calls from family and to use WhatsApp while on a Wi-Fi network.

Also, I was making international calls on Skype while I was out and about to a friend in Holland and apparently received charges for each of these calls.

Could someone please explain this to me? Any help would be greatly appreciated 😄

More info

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Are the charges £1.66 a day plus VAT? If so it sounds like O2 Travel has kicked in for some reason.

It does @jonsie Maybe from one border to another?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Also for @Anonymous as you are travelling to Holland shortly.. you may need to look at the charges if using O2 Travel https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 21

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You might want to think about opting out of O2 Travel given your usage but you need to find out why data was used. I can only think the wifi was weak and the wifi assist box was ticked.

Message 13 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hence my original question about wifi not being free

Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

It simply says £1.66 for the 19 May then the same for the 23 May but nothing about VAT if this clears anything up?

Message 15 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

How would I opt out of O2 Travel exactly?

Message 16 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this! I'll be sure to contact them tomorrow. Perhaps I have stupidly done something and not even realized..

Message 17 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

How would I opt out of O2 Travel exactly?

Hi @Anonymous

To opt out of O2 Travel text NOTRAVEL to 23336. You will then be charged standard roaming rates. This can take up to 24 hours to be applied to your account. For details of standard roaming rates, http://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel/standard-charges

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Cleoriff! slight_smile

Message 19 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

No problems wink