cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting charges for travel data when I haven't bought any?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

So twice last week when I had to travel across the border from the North of Ireland to the Republic of Ireland I received charges under 'Things you've bought'. I did not have my mobile internet turned on whatsoever as I was using the Wi-Fi on the coach and did not text or call once I crossed the border. So where could these charges be coming from and how can I avoid them? I will be travelling to Holland next week for 2 weeks and will need my mobile on to receive texts and calls from family and to use WhatsApp while on a Wi-Fi network.

Also, I was making international calls on Skype while I was out and about to a friend in Holland and apparently received charges for each of these calls.

Could someone please explain this to me? Any help would be greatly appreciated 😄

More info

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

How would I opt out of O2 Travel exactly?

Hi @Anonymous

To opt out of O2 Travel text NOTRAVEL to 23336. You will then be charged standard roaming rates. This can take up to 24 hours to be applied to your account. For details of standard roaming rates, http://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel/standard-charges

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

The wifi on the coach may actually not be free. Some places like hotels & cruise ships charge you to use their wifi.

Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm afraid it was free and has always been free any time I have travelled across the border before switching from Pay As You Go to Pay Monthly.

Message 3 of 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23219 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

@Anonymous What phone are you using?  Are you certain you have gone into your settings and your mobile data was switched off?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using the S4 and absolutely - I did not want any extra charges on my account so I made certain mobile data was switched off.

Message 5 of 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23219 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

What was the charge for using Skype? Was it a charge from O2 or from Skype? How is the charge shown on your bill?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is listed under charges of 'minutes' with a total of £3.33 which is very odd as I don't call internationally unless it is on Skype or WhatsApp.

Message 7 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Are the charges £1.66 a day plus VAT? If so it sounds like O2 Travel has kicked in for some reason.

Message 8 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

This all sounds very weird @Anonymous Maybe you should contact Customer services in the morning and ask them for an explanation? They will be able to break down the costs for you and you could challenge any which are out of order? http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Best time to call is between 8-8.30am

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It is listed under charges of 'minutes' with a total of £3.33 which is very odd as I don't call internationally unless it is on Skype or WhatsApp.

OK so it's 2 days of O2 Travel then and for some reason data has been used.

Message 10 of 21