Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a refund on a number paid for but NEVER USED

Sebs
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently noticed an account taking regular £35 payments from my account.  I have managed to cancel the account and discovered that it was linked to a Virgin media/O2 Sim card that was given for free and somehow started a string of charges dating back to 2019.  

But it is also visible in the account that this was NEVER USED.  I pay about £80 a month to O2 for other devices and contracts so it seems fair to ask for a refund for a service that was never used and was probably mis-sold or at the very least not reasonably reviewed.

How do I go about requesting this refund?  Should I do it through an ombudsman or does o2 have a process to review requests like these?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36041 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Contact O2's Social Media team for that, @Sebs - link just below has the ways.

It has worked, once you get their attention, for quite a few people, including me (although mine was a small sum). Good luck!

Message 2 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@Sebs 

You would of had an oomph sim which was free at the time but payment details were recorded for any out of allowance charges.

This type of sim was transferred to O2 when the merger took place but the free aspect was no longer available. You would have been advised of the charges at the time, so the chance of a refund now is very slim I'm afraid.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10200 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Sebs 

You failed to read the terms and conditions attached to the sim card and just because you didnt use the  already activated sim card is not the fault of o2 or Virgin..  Maybe next time understand the contract and all the other information pertaining to the offer..

You where not mis sold, as at the time you had to give bank details, and will have been told why, as everyone else was...  

Sorry but this is on you..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 5

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6626 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1489 Solutions

Check your Broadband bill. When the Oomp SIM cards became chargable the Broadband element was reduced by a corresponding amount so customers ended up paying the same.

If that didn't happen then the problem lies with Virgin.

150 from a Virgin Phone or 0345 4541111 from any other.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 5