cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuming with o2's charges in Norther Ireland

Anonymous
Not applicable

Over the last few months i've noticed my o2 bill is increasing.(Normally £40 pound(ish). I know they put the price of their charges up twice now since i took out my 24month contract (1st time was one month into my contract!) 

So today i decided to look at my itemised bill for a change and notice 6 charges of £1.66 for o2 travel data. 

I phoned o2 to ask what they were for a didn't travel anywhere. It turns out that because i live in Northern Ireland and a few minutes from the border with Ireland,  my phone would automatically switch to roaming and exchange data. 

The problem i have with this is that in TOTAL my data usage over 6 days was 1.44mb of data. And for this O2 charges me a flat rate £1.66 each day.

Looking back over the other months i notice this happens nearly every month. For example there is a month where i used just 2KB of data and get charged £1.66.

I've since found how to switch off data roaming but come on o2, in my situation it could be cheaper for me to actually just pay for what data i use rather than this flat rate of £1.66 as it's always just a few KB. 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

o2 can remove the o2 travel bolton so you get standard rates but by doing the manual selection as described above it will stop .

explained here http://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel/standard-charges

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have come across this before and suggest if your settings allow it then turn auto networks off and choose a specific network instead.
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think O2 should refund you the first time before you were aware to manually set it did they offer that if not ring up and speak to someone else
Message 3 of 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

o2 can remove the o2 travel bolton so you get standard rates but by doing the manual selection as described above it will stop .

explained here http://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel/standard-charges

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, but i would rather o2 turned off the standard £1.66 charge. Someone said the standard charge is 46p per MB, i would say if this is the case i should have been charged about £3 in the past year instead of £30+
Message 5 of 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

46p is correct as per my link above but remember that calls would also be international and sms as well.

Manual Network selection would be the best option but would leave you without calls / sms / data until o2-uk network was regained

Apple Watch series 4

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you remove O2 travel it will take off the £1.66 charge you can do it yourself
To opt out of O2 Travel text NOTRAVEL to 23336, you will then be charged our standard roaming rates. This can take up to 24hrs to be applied to your account. For details of our standard roaming rates, please visit o2.co.uk/international.
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've spoke with the billing department and they've said they completed a consumer request form regarding the charges (whatever that is) and i should receive a txt within 3 days. Here's hoping. Thanks for the suggestions

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome and please let us know how you get on.

slight_smile
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your welcome Never heard that one before let us know slight_smile
Message 10 of 10