Did you mean: 

Fraud - ordering new phones on my account

Disheartened
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

HI all, 

I wondered if anyone else has fallen for this scam?  In June I was contacted by a call centre and informed that I was going to be given a discounted airtime rate.  I was dubious but they gave me my information including my DoB and monthly payment.  I then received a text that alerted me to the fact that a new phone had been ordered on my account. I rang O2 and told them what had happened. Fortunately, the fraudsters had not changed the delivery address and the phone arrived at my house 2 days later. I was able to send it back and was informed by 02 that the fraud team would call me within 30 days. There were additional financial charges on my account associated with this phone but I was told they would be cancelled.  Well yesterday I had the call from the 'fraud' team and again they went through all my details telling me what my email address was etc and informing me that they knew there were charges on my account and that they were going to remove them.  I politely argued with the call centre guy who told me the calls were being recorded and that I could be assured he was from O2 and I received text messages from O2.  Then this evening, I felt uneasy and logged into my O2 account and spotted that yet another phone has been ordered. This time a very expensive iPhone and the delivery address has been changed to Essex.  I have immediately reported this as fraud, tried to intercept the new phone and will contact o2 tomorrow to again alert them.  I have lost all confidence in O2 at present as now I am not sure who I am speaking to and do they have Fraudsters within their call centre or is this a big organised crime ring? I have yet another phone to sort and more charges and a 5 hour round trip to try and intercede this phone.  Please tell me I am not alone!  Has there been a data breach? I cannot understand how they were able to quote all of my personal information back at me. Thanks 

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Disheartened 

They clearly have access to your MyO2 so you should change your password to secure your account in the first instance.

These are large organised crime groups so they should be reported to the police as well as O2.

Action fraud site here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice 

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/protect-yourself/mobile-phone-fraud

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Disheartened 

They clearly have access to your MyO2 so you should change your password to secure your account in the first instance.

These are large organised crime groups so they should be reported to the police as well as O2.

Action fraud site here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice 

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/protect-yourself/mobile-phone-fraud

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Disheartened
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much. I have just noticed someone else posts a very similar story to mine.  I have changed my details, tried to intercept this phone and will call the police in the morning and get a crime reference number. 

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Hope you get it sorted.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4