Did you mean: 

Extra call charges when travelling to Ireland from the UK

Nic_76
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

When checking my O2 Pay Monthly account (unlimited free minutes/texts) I saw that when sailing over to Ireland from Holyhead, there was an unknown call displayed which my account states I had made:

Call Details
Date: 14 Apr 22
Time: 15:36
Number: 0901
Duration: 28s
Cost: £1.660

As I only called a UK-based relative during the sailing ie not a 0901 number, does anyone know what this call refers to?

On a separate note, when in the UK I have been charged re: a text with the number: 0018773180582 which I didn't send. 

Can I challenge both of these extra charges? And how can I prevent such charges being added to my monthly bill in the future?

Thanks for you help, NicolaScreenshot of unidentified call number

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

@Nic_76 

You have probably connected to the ships onboard Mobile Network, hence the country is Norway, so you are charged correctly, as Ship based networks are not covered by any inclusive Roaming 

The 0901 number is what the Ship Network is passing onto o2. 

That North America could be an app calling home, via SMS, usually they will use a UK number, but do sometimes use NA numbers. 

Best thing to do in future is use WhatsApp, Telegram or Signal to make a call whilst connected to the Ships WiFi, and put your phone on AirPlane Mode. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

@Nic_76 

You have probably connected to the ships onboard Mobile Network, hence the country is Norway, so you are charged correctly, as Ship based networks are not covered by any inclusive Roaming 

The 0901 number is what the Ship Network is passing onto o2. 

That North America could be an app calling home, via SMS, usually they will use a UK number, but do sometimes use NA numbers. 

Best thing to do in future is use WhatsApp, Telegram or Signal to make a call whilst connected to the Ships WiFi, and put your phone on AirPlane Mode. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 2