cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi guys ive been with o2 for 3 years now and have upgraded once in that time. I am looking to get the iphone 4 but they say i cant upgrade until 17th december or id have to buy out my contract to get it. the Iphone 4 is £229 upfront payment and o2 then want over £100 more for my "early upgrade" is there anyway they can waiver this upgrade fee as i find it shocking having to pay over £200 for the handset then an early upgrade fee and the monthly contract!

thanks for you help
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
I can't see what's unreasonable in what you've been told, and they are under no obligation to release you from the contract you have now.

You are a prime example of why they won't do it, the iPhone doesn't get sold, it gets snatched off the shelves.

They will see no reason to offer special terms while demand is this high.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi guys ive been with o2 for 3 years now and have upgraded once in that time. I am looking to get the iphone 4 but they say i cant upgrade until 17th december or id have to buy out my contract to get it. the Iphone 4 is £229 upfront payment and o2 then want over £100 more for my "early upgrade" is there anyway they can waiver this upgrade fee as i find it shocking having to pay over £200 for the handset then an early upgrade fee and the monthly contract!
thanks for you help

You're in a contract so you either wait it out or you pay the fee, don't think you can just leave a contract early with nothing to pay. O2 are not just going to lose out on some money because you don't want to fufill your contract.
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm with the OP - Vodafone's web team allow early upgrades - you just sign a new contract now and they add on whatevers left on your current one - so I had 6 months left, signed a new 18+6 months contract - they don't lose out at all - in fact they benefit by tying me in for a longer period...
O2 however do nothing like this... I know it's not Legally a requirement but it's a customer service point that would be nice...
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Shocking!! Totally unreasonable behaviour.
I think we should be able to upgrade whenever we want and to continually extend our contracts, without ever paying enough to cover the handset price.
The customer is always right..... right?
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
The customer is always right..... right?

Err...no. I've worked in sales and customer service before, but what a customer wants and what is actually right is often very different.
Here's the facts. You are in a contract you signed for. It ends in December. The phone you want just happens to be expensive and high in demand. £229 is the cost of the phone on the contract - there's no way around that, and it's not unreasonable since it's £500 SIM Free. You want out your original contract so how is it unreasonable for o2 to charge you the remaining months? It's not them wanting to change the terms of the contract - it's you.
If you are not happy at spending £229 on the iPhone 4 and £100 to buy-out your contract, then wait 2-3 months and just pay for the phone... it's your only option.
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Keyboard Warrior, you explaind it well. But I think you missed ancientferguson's sarcasm.
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Keyboard Warrior, you explaind it well. But I think you missed ancientferguson's sarcasm.

Sarcasm on the internet can be harder for me to pick up than in real life conversations grin
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think 'Totally missed the point' would be a better description!
Message 9 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 87314 Posts
  • 596 Topics
  • 5287 Solutions
You don't get such wit and repartee on here...much! grin
Mind your p's and q's when AudFergies's about!
2020-Awards-jonsie5695219-2

O2 Social Media

SM IconsTwitter

Instagram

Facebook

Message 10 of 11