cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade after upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have an iPhone 6s Plus which I pay about £60 each month for and I get unlimited calls and texts and 20gb of data. My contract ends in October and I'm just wondering if I could upgrade it to the iPhone 7 but get a lower tariff so lower gb/texts/minutes and pay less if anyone knows what I mean? Any help would be appreciated thanks
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

When you "upgrade" you choose a new tariff to go with your new phone, so you can choose any of the currently advertised tariffs.
So the answer is yes, you can, but if you want to do it before October, you will need to pay off your device plan first.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

When you "upgrade" you choose a new tariff to go with your new phone, so you can choose any of the currently advertised tariffs.
So the answer is yes, you can, but if you want to do it before October, you will need to pay off your device plan first.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much really helps a lot! Another question if you don't mind, would I have to pay the upfront cost for the new phone?
Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes you would normally but if you call customer services and choose the "I'm thinking of leaving" option, they may offer you a discount on either the upfront charges or on the airtime bill.
Try out your haggling skills - you've nothing to lose wink

Currently using:
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Depending on the tariff you choose there maybe an upfront cost or not 

Message 5 of 5