Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default of £7.00 registered on Credit file for no reason and does not respond

Tamik
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been an o2 customer since 2011 and had several numbers with them. It appears that o2 registered default on my credit file for balance of £7.00 for one of the numbers without any consideration, contact or letting me know.   My average bill ranges from £40-90 with o2 monthly and I do not understand how and why would o2 register a default on my credit file. I even have one contract live now...  This situation now resulted in difficulties with getting mortgage and will end up costing me thousands ... I do not understand why would o2 do something like this, so hostile, so sinister .... I tried speaking to them and spent several hours on a phone only to be told to contact credit referral team, which does not pick up a phone and only communicates via emails... This team did not even bother responding ... I am in total despair ? Can anybody advise what else can I do ?????

Yours faithfully,

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10199 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Tamik 

Best thins to do is log a dispute via one of the Credit Reference agencies, as it will be quicker than waiting for o2.. 

The Credit Referrals team can take up to 15 WORKING Days to reply to you.

O2 don't just add it for no reason, they will have written to you, texted and emailed you, about the money due, and they are obliged as part of the FCA rules payments and outstanding balances, as well as defaults. 

It would be odd for a mortgage company to block an application for £7, so might be worth checking your credit file and see if anything on there is wrong or speaking to a broker

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

-O2  are well known for not informing people that there is an outstanding amount due on a closed account

Biggest problem though is premature cancellation of a direct debit

Equal blame I think

Message 3 of 9

Tamik
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your response... I wanted to check if there is a way to get it resolved without reaching CRA or Ombudsman...

Despite you point on O2 following FCA rules, in my instance this had not happen. My average o2 bill ranges between £40-90 every month and continues to do so even now, so it does not make sense to leave £7.00 out ...

As for mortgage company refusal, despite being "odd" this is a fact as my broker confirmed this with mortgage provider

I find it difficult to comprehend how and why would you put anybody in detriment of thousands of pounds for balance of £7.00 ... what do you think ?

Message 4 of 9

Tamik
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am biased but I believe this is totally unacceptable to put anybody in detriment of thousands of pounds for balance of £7.00.  I am adamant that I was not made aware of outstanding balance of £7.00. Do you think is proportionate and equal blame ?

Message 5 of 9

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

It's easy to say because I worked for a large well known bank in credit card services and have seen this so many times

A search on here will show your exact problem, sometimes for less than the £7 outstanding on your own account

Even sadder is that O2 are not obliged to remove a default it it was correctly applied

O2 will argue that it was and that they sent out reminders (no way to check that of course)

Only way forward I think would be to pay the £7 and put a marker on your credit file that it has been put on there in error and is now settled

Waiting for O2's CRT to resolve it could take months

Another option is to make a complain

Resolver tends to get the best response and resolution

https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies/o2-complaints?territory_id=5

Message 6 of 9

Tamik
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie 

Thank you your advice and pointer, I raised this as complain with o2 via resolver, will see if this will bear any fruit. Worst thing is that nobody from o2 is able to provide details on how to get it paid ... I would argue that this has been done without required diligence and detriment and effect if far too severe to consumer  (me). I will keep posted here on any updates.

Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Craigyboy
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Tamik How did you get on with your complaint? I’m in the same boat.

Message 9 of 9