cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data charge for receiving picture message

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been charged a data charge for receiving a picture message at 9.27 today. Picture message sent from mobile phone to my Sony ericsson x10mini, received into my messages area.
I received two notifications at the same time, 1 showing that i had been charged for data useage, and the second notifying me of the picture message from my wife's mobile.
The data traffic was disabled on my phone, and the phone was in my pocket when i received the messages so it was not in use. Talking to the customer service advisor I was told that the data charge was at 9.25, and i received the message at 9.27. Surely the two are linked! The phone has not been used for GPRS data roaming before 9.27 this morning. I am convinced that I have been charged for receiving the picture message via data charge.
I am very unhappy with the response so far which seems to highlight an error in the billing system. Can this be tested in real time by o2 sending me a picture message and monitoring network charges?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
sounds like the data hole that affects iphone users on o2 may not be just an iphone issue but a network issue.
I.e. When the mms was being received other apps used its data connection. Is this in the uk or abroad as you mention roaming (this is when the iphone issue shows up)
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is in the UK. I'm on the pay as you go text and web tariff but only use wi-fi connection when i have used my free allowance (wireless setting is set to never transfer to GRPS if wi-fi signal lost).
Most annoying part so far is the customer service advisor refused point blank to a link between the picture message and data charge. Using google for 5 minutes I have found other companies which suffer similar issues globally, so was hoping to find other o2 users who have noticed a similar problem.
Message 3 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
I know nothing about your handset unless someone else can help only customer services or if that fails to help the complaint review service to escalate the issue. All complaints details in the support section of website just search complain.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just disabled background data (on android phones it allows apps to sync data and search for updates when a data connection is available).
Any technical people know if this will work?
Does a picture message create a temporary data connection?
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
MMS does use a data connnection. When other people have claimed to have been charged for the data it has always turned out to be something else using the data. So far at least. Or misunderstanding of the messages. Do you use a data counter? You could see what data has been used.
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Data counter shows 0bytes used today, which is what I would expect but I don't know if it tracks the background data use. I think its a similar glitch to the iphone. Those users would only notice the charges abroad because they have data included in their tariff, but not the additional roaming data charges. Anyone else with an android phone on pay as u go? Seen anything similar?
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
It did exactly the same to me on my HTC Desire a few months ago and when i phoned C/S they could not help me and others on here were saying it were my phone but it never charged me for over 4 months and then all of a sudden i were getting charged for receiving and sending a MMS message.. then a week or so after i didnt get charged, then guess what.. i'm getting charged again..!! everything is turned off on my phone, mobile network, data roaming, all sync's are also turned off and i no its nothing to do with my phone..!
from the day MMS messages came out i have never been charged but now all of a sudden i'm getting charged..?
i'll watch this thread for a solution ..!
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
The IT support guy here at work pointed out that whenever a device receives data (such as a picture message) it will also send data out to basically acknowledge receipt of the data. He suggested that it is very likely that it is communication between the users phone and the network that is being classed by o2 as data and getting charged subsequently.
This seems like something that needs to be sorted by the network provider so that the communication required for the receipt of picture messages is seen differently to the data charges associated with internet type use.
Message 9 of 9