cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Use on Android

Anonymous
Not applicable
My wife got a HTC Desire S at the weekend, and in 1 days she has used 50MB of data. She just downloaded a few apps, browsed FB and added her contacts.
As she is new to Android phones, how can we ensure that nothing else is on using data whilst the phone is idle?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
The whole idea of the the Desire S is that it does use data. It really is a pocket computer more than a just a phone.
To keep data use to a minimum use wifi whenever possible. At home mine is connected to my home broadband and it is at those times that I do any downloads and updates. Many O2 tariffs also allow use of BT Openzone and the Cloud hotspots
I find that doing that the 500MB data allowance is more than adequate for my needs.
I take it she does have a data allowance?
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
yes she has a data allowance of 500mb, but im trying to figure out how she can use 50mb in 1 day. I know she downloaded a few apps, some via wifi and some via 3g.
There is probably something running in the background that could be eating up data, as we are both new to android, we dont know what/how to check and what to stop (ie live syncing etc)
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
live syncing should not use that much. I've literally got everything synced, apart from Twitter and Facebook and use around 250MB per month.
There is a nice little program called 3G Watchdog which keeps an eye on things, so it may be worth installing and seeing how things settle down over the next day or so.
Also make sure that none of the Apps in your market list have automatic update checked.
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
i will download that.
Anything else that i can check to see what could be eating data?
Message 5 of 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
You should be able to go into Menu> Settings> Accounts and Sync, and manage what is running in the background.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unchecking always-on mobile data in-
Settings
Wireless & Networks
Mobile Networks
-will stop a lot of apps updating whilst the phone is asleep. It seems GMail still syncs while the phone is asleep, and any calendar and contact changes sync when you do them, but it stops a lot of other apps. They just then sync when you wake the phone up.
What apps are installed?
What was downloaded via 3G as some apps are huge?
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
3 angry bird games and a couple of other games.
I have installed 3g watchdog
I have put on wifi so it used wifi at home
I have also unchecked 'Background Data" sync and all accounts are manual.
If turn of 'Enable always-on mobile data', will my wife still be able to log into facebook, the internet and other apps that require it? will it be like data-on-demand?
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes your wife will be able to facebook, internet, and use any app that requires data. What it seems to do, though getting exact details is difficult, is shut off the data connection while phone is asleep. Some apps still force through such as Gmail if you set it to auto sync, but others just update when you wake the handset. Its a good power saver too if you don't pick up your handset every five mins.
I average about 9 meg a day. That's with all email sync'd, weather updated hourly, facebook (manually sync'd as I only check it a few times a day), BBC News app (manually refreshed, and articles not preloaded as it saves data to pick what to read), ESPN F1, wapedia, and browsing. Plus the other apps that need data periodically. This is on the orginal Desire, not the S, but I can't see there being a huge difference.
Were the apps downloaded by 3G? Each Angry Birds is massive, between 12 and 17 meg each.
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
yes it was all 3 angry birds (couple via 3g and 1 via wifi) plus another couple of apps via the android market online
I have stopped all syncing and also auto-sync is off along with background data. Wifi is now on at home.
Today i checked and she has used 4 mb ( i checked via o2 online). I have installed 3g watchdog and will have a look when she gets home tonight as its possible she would have probably gone into fb and checked her mails today etc
Message 10 of 13