Did you mean: 

Data Sim - Which one ?

risco-sam
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Dear O2 Community,

I'm looking for a Data Sim for a 4G Router where the provider will not block traffic/ports.

I currently have a home alarm system that stopped talking to the cloud after 6 weeks of connectivity due to the wrong sim car being provided by Car phone Wharehouse. O2 Tech support hinted that as the sim was to be used in a phone and not a router this could be the reason it has been partially blocked.

Funny thing is all internet & email works just a block on the cloud my alarm talks to.

I note there is an unlimited business data sim for £27.99 pm (12 Months)

https://businessshop.o2.co.uk/business-shop/sim-only/ 

Could this be the answer to my rural broadband crisis ?

Many Thanks

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

risco-sam
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Quick Summary = O2 Block URLs and Ports as there business sees fit.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@risco-sam wrote:

Dear O2 Community,

I'm looking for a Data Sim for a 4G Router where the provider will not block traffic/ports.

I currently have a home alarm system that stopped talking to the cloud after 6 weeks of connectivity due to the wrong sim car being provided by Car phone Wharehouse. O2 Tech support hinted that as the sim was to be used in a phone and not a router this could be the reason it has been partially blocked.

Funny thing is all internet & email works just a block on the cloud my alarm talks to.

I note there is an unlimited business data sim for £27.99 pm (12 Months)

https://businessshop.o2.co.uk/business-shop/sim-only/ 

Could this be the answer to my rural broadband crisis ?

Many Thanks

@risco-sam 

You'd be advised to seek clarification from customer services, just in case there are restrictions that we aren't aware of. 

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

risco-sam
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I think we've already confirmed Customer Services are not able to answer such a question either due to training or working knowledge 🙂

Message 3 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Marjo @EmilieT ??

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 11

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @risco-sam, we'll see what we can find for you on our end! In case we need more information, I'll send you a Private Message, and either way update you as soon as I can slight_smile

Thanks for the mention @MI5!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 11

risco-sam
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Splendid, 

I have a Home Alarm system that heatbeats to riscocloud.com that is currently being blocked after 6 weeks of usage on the O2 Network. Should I have the incorrrect SIM then I will need assistance in obtaining the correct one with assurance this will not also be blocked.

IP = 51.105.177.19

Port Address:

Data Out: 33000

Date In:    34000

Message 6 of 11

risco-sam
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
How about O2 monitor my IP and tell me what traffic they see from my IP. My router traffic monitor show a heart beat from my alarm every 2 mins or so to the address/port I've shared.
Message 7 of 11

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

This might help in explaining why although Vodafone related: https://www.h685.co.uk/port-forwarding-doesnt-work/ and and a previous thread on a similar thread on here.

Though you probably do want to have the specific Mobile Broadband sim for data only. 

Message 8 of 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@risco-sam 

So IP = 51.105.177.19 which is a Microsoft Azure IP, so sits on the 51.103.0.0/16 subnet

Are ports 33000 / 34000 tcp or udp? How often are the heartbeats and how much data is being sent

A home security system should really be using a M2M sim card, with a private APN back to risco's back end servers, rather than a standard data sim on either business or consumer tariff 

From BT i cant get to 51.105.177.19 on port 33000 it is, and a pathping fails even to the dns 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 11

risco-sam
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Im told a 1k data pole I/O in a normal working mode but unsure if packets are TCP/UDP.

Question I will raise to the vendor however without O2 enabling this Im stuck and will have to move to another provider. (Im rural so fibre is not an option).

Screenshot 20**Personal info** at 09.18.03.png

Message 10 of 11