Did you mean: 

Data Capacity in Bath City Centre

Superdaveuk
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

For at least the last 4 years, the data speeds in the centre of Bath (BA1 1RG) have been very poor - a speedtest regularly shows download rates of barely 0.4Mbps and internet browsing is extremely slow. 

Coverage is fine - outdoors I usually get a full set of bars, and have 4G enabled. Voice calls are good and are using the 3G calling OK. As soon as I move a few miles out of the centre data speeds increase substantially. 

It seems to me that the cell covering the centre of town can't cope with the number of people coming into the city each day and that this has been an issue for a long time.

I've tried reporting this through live chat, but despite this being only an issue for me in the centre of town,  having had 3 new phones and sim cards during the last 4 years, they keep suggesting it's a local handset issue, rather than something that needs to be addressed by the network team. While this might be the solution for some people, common sense would dictate this is not my issue!

Has anyone else had any luck in reporting capacity issues to O2 and for them to be fixed? It defies belief that they don't have some form of monitoring on their cells, so I can't believe that their network team don't already know that this is a problem. 

My phone outside the range of wifi is barely usable for data services in the centre of town and I would guess this must be the case for everyone else using O2 in Bath. 

Cheers, 

David

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's best to use the MyNetwork app as we know they do respond to issues reported through it.
https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can keep on reporting it and eventually the capacity may be increased.
O2 are rolling out various network improvements currently but we don’t have any timetable.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Superdaveuk
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - where is the best place to report to?

The live chat person didn't have a clue past their script. If this is the experience of most people, I can see that they probably don't get many reports, so they don't see where the problems lie to add to their rollout program

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's best to use the MyNetwork app as we know they do respond to issues reported through it.
https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Superdaveuk
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Reported through that - Thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Best of luck....

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

Adam_Crawford
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, speeds have improved slightly but, it’s now just about usable compared to unusable a couple years ago. It’s frustrating.

Message 7 of 7