Did you mean: 

Credit Card security code request

Abcdefg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, 

I received a monthly deal text on my O2 number, dialled 0800 081 0274 and the operator asked me for my credit card security code. Is that legal? I gave de Sort Code, the Account Number, Name and the Card Number. When he asked me about the security code I stopped. Is this an O2 policy?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Abcdefg 

Sounds like you've been scammed.

I'd call my bank immediately to inform them that you've given your details to a scammer and cancel your account.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Abcdefg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got the number from the text message. It is a phone number from O2 or not? How can I get scammed if I dial an O2 number?

77638D98-9137-49D6-A6F9-D41A94C4704B.png

Message 3 of 7

Abcdefg
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

39181006-5687-4931-8488-0B6F51C6824C.jpeg

 This is when the call was made. Maybe someone can answer if this is the O2 policy or not, also to turn off the call recording in the middle of the conversation.

Message 4 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Abcdefg  Asking for the 3 digit code on the back of your card is standard practice. You need to speak to customer service to find out if the offer is legitimate.
Call 202 from your mobile or 0800 032 1402 from any phone.
When it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say 'Upgrade', 'Lost/Stolen', or 'Fraud' if the suggestion above doesn't get you through.
Best time to call is 8 am. The 0800 number isn't available until 9 am.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Abcdefg 

That text looks legit and is from the same as other texts you have got from o2. 

If they have taken all card and bank account details its to run a credit, affordability and identity checks.

Yes it is normal for the call recording to be stopped when taking Card Details, as companies are not allowed to store the CVV or certain parts of the card number in line with PCI regulations, and a lot of companies pause the call recording for bank account details as well.  To add as well not all calls are recorded. 

Nothing illegal about asking for the CVV

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 7

Abcdefg
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I do not find it normal to ask for my CVV. It is like asking for access to my wallet were I keep all my money with the promise that you are just counting the amount and then you will give it back to me as it was. I find it insulting. You lost a client today. 

Message 7 of 7