cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract cancellation

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to check whether I am laible to the contract cancellation charges.

O2 have decided to increase the charges for travelling outsiide the EU.

http://s.o2.co.uk/VDblOme8

I have plans to travel to USA for work issues in Nov/Dec. According to ofcom

Under Ofcom rules (known as 'General Conditions'), communication providers must give all businesses at least one month's notice of any changes in their contract that are likely to be of material detriment to them, including increases in the price you agreed.

If the agreed price increases are of 'material detriment' to you, you are therefore allowed to cancel that contract without penalty. Remember, this applies even if you are still within your 'minimum contract period'.

If your provider does not automatically give you the right to exit your contract without penalty following a price increase, but you consider the increase to be of 'material detriment', you could raise the matter with your provider.

Whether or not a price rise is materially detrimental to your business will be determined by your particular circumstances and the nature of your contract and your usage. You should be prepared to provide evidence of these to your provider.

Under the same rules as per ofcom can I request termination without a penalty ???

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
As it states, you need to contact O2 about this http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
You will have to prove that your bills will be significantly higher than the last time you travelled to the same country with the same phone usage.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
As it states, you need to contact O2 about this http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
You will have to prove that your bills will be significantly higher than the last time you travelled to the same country with the same phone usage.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

There's not actually any increase to the O2 Roaming Charges, simply that the in the budget this year the Chancellor moved them within the scope of VAT, whereas previously they had not been subject to VAT. 

It's worth noting that if your business is VAT registered, you will be able to reclaim this VAT input tax in the same way that you do for other VAT paid, either by offsetting against output VAT due, or if none then by claiming a repayment from HMRC.

If you have a consumer contract, you can still use O2 Travel in the US for the same £4.99 per day charge inc VAT (£4.16 ex VAT) therefore there would be no difference to the amount paid, and in fact if you are able to reclaim the VAT then there would actually be a reduction in your cost. If a business contract (which quoting OFCOM's business rules suggests?) then you can look at the ROW 24hr or 30 day passes, or speak to the business team about tailored offerings. 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 3 of 3