cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract Woe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi O2 community. I have been an O2 user for years and was recently planning to take out contracts for two Samsung Galaxies for my comany.

However, my daughters latest experience with O2 will probably result in me leaving O2.

To be brief, she took out a contract about a year ago when she was working but subsequently became unemployed. In April she got a bill for just over £300, she paid about £200 and agreed on payments for the remainder.

Since then O2 have put her in the hands of a particularly nasty debt collection agency who have mysteriously doubled the amount she owed to O2.

So goodby O2 and thanks for nothing

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has your daughter taken up the issue with O2 and asked why the debt was passed to collectors when a payment agreement was in place? Did your daughter miss any of the agreed payments?

Unfortunately, the same circumstances would have happened no matter who the mobile provider was. I'm not condoning anyone's actions but if the bill wasn't being paid (as above, did your daughter miss any of the agreed payments?) then they are entitled to collect the debt as per the terms of the contract that your daughter signed up to.

In what way are the collectors being aggressive? If you do have concerns about the way this debt has been handled, then you and your daughter should speak to your local Consumer Advice Bureau who may be able to help, and possibly call off the collection agency or have the amount reduced back to what it should be. Hope you get it sorted

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has your daughter taken up the issue with O2 and asked why the debt was passed to collectors when a payment agreement was in place? Did your daughter miss any of the agreed payments?

Unfortunately, the same circumstances would have happened no matter who the mobile provider was. I'm not condoning anyone's actions but if the bill wasn't being paid (as above, did your daughter miss any of the agreed payments?) then they are entitled to collect the debt as per the terms of the contract that your daughter signed up to.

In what way are the collectors being aggressive? If you do have concerns about the way this debt has been handled, then you and your daughter should speak to your local Consumer Advice Bureau who may be able to help, and possibly call off the collection agency or have the amount reduced back to what it should be. Hope you get it sorted

Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sound advice.
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Theirs always two sides to a story.

Lets hope your daughter sorts this out before her credit file is harmed although if 02 has passed this to a debt collection agency then she probably has a default on it now already.

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

My daghter is going to see the CAB today.

One thing that really annoys me about this is why does O2 and other mobile providers let people run up debts. Why not block the phone when the contract limit has been reached and send a text to that effect.

As for debt collectors we're now getting abou 5 calls a day

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure your daughter gives the CAB every single detail of all and any debts and payments she has or hasnt made. She needs to be honest with them so they can help, even if that means speaking to the CAB advisor without you incase she is hiding something from you. (Sorry, i know what its like to be in debt and wanting to hide it from those closest to you)

As for the debt collectors phone calls, thats harrasment and its against the law for them to do this. The Administration of Justice Act 1970 S.40 makes it a Criminal Offence for a creditor or a creditor's agent (often a debt collection agency) to make demands (for money), which are aimed at causing 'alarm, distress or humiliation, because of their frequency or publicity or manner'. Equally, a creditor will be committing an offence if they falsely imply that non-payment of the debt will lead to criminal proceedings

First things first, DO NOT answer the phone to them. Debt collectors are only interested in getting the money back ASAP and they will say anything - do anything - to force the money from you no matter what is fair, legal or decent.

If its the same number thats calling, save it to the phone and give it a silent ringtone so it stops bothering your daughter.

Next, make sure your daughter tells the CAB about this and shows them a log of calls they have made, and have a look at this site: http://www.payplan.com/debt-library/bailiffs-harassment.php

Hope she gets it all sorted

Message 6 of 6