Did you mean: 

Chat Messaging issue

venger
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I've recently moved from a Samsung Galaxy S6 to an S21 and I've noticed that text/SMS messages between myself and a particular friend have changed slightly.

They are now more like a WhatsApp message inasmuch as you can see when a message is delivered or read and when someone is typing a reply. After a little research I can see this relates to so called 'Chat Messages' and, on the face of it, it seems an improvement when compared to good old fashioned texts.

However, my friend is now experiencing problems when trying to text me, after she's pressed send on a message to me, she gets 'message will be sent when (the recipient) is back online'.

My mobile is never switched off, so I'm either at home using my wifi or out and about using my data allowance, so why the error message?

My text/sms settings currently have rich communications enabled and default messaging type set as chat messages.

She's the only friend I know for sure who has a Smasung Galaxy and she's the only friend who I seem to have a problem receiving texts from following my change in phone.

Any ideas?

Many thanks for your time.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144306 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@venger 

Make sure that the messaging app is allowed to run in the background and turn off the battery optimisation for the app.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

venger
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5  many thanks for the quick reply.

Interestingly it won't actually allow me to change the battery optimisation for that app.

Currently under optimise battery usage, all slider buttons on all apps are greyed out. If I select to optimise all apps, the slider button on the message app is still greyed out.

When you say allowed to run in the background, I assume you mean that it should be left visible in the currently running apps window ?

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144306 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@venger 

That would suggest that battery optimisation is off anyway, which is what you want.

Yes, keep it open in running apps.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4