cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges for using internet on your phone (Simplicity Tariff)

Anonymous
Not applicable
My friend's son is on 02 Simplicity Monthly and he has been using his phone to watch utube, my friend has just discovered that £177 has been debited from her account for October and after checking the bill for November its already well over £1000, they have been in touch with O2 about this but not had a response yet.
Can anyone tell me if the charges for this kind of usage is correct as it seems very high and I dont use much internet myself so dont really understand the charges, and do you not usually get a warning from o2 when your bill goes excessively higher than your normal usage?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
You get a warning sent to your phone when you are approaching your data allowance limit.
Without going through it in exact detail I cannot say if the charges are correct, but watching youtube videos on his phone will use up a lot of data. Data outside of an allowance is expensive:
"Data usage is measured in kilobytes (KB) and charged at £3.06 per MB. 1MB = 1024 Kilobytes (KB), 1024 MB = 1 Gigabyte (GB). You are billed for the amount of data that travels over the data network." http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffSmallPrint#DCPM
Data estimates:
"Every 500MB of UK data will allow you to (approx):
Send 500,000 emails, without attachments
or send 1,000 emails, with photos attached
or visit 5,000 simple sites, like Twitter or your favourite blog
or visit 1,500 rich content sites, like bbc.co.uk, guardian.co.uk or yahoo.co.uk
or download 50 (low quality) or 12 (high quality) music tracks
or watch 60 YouTube videos, about 4.5 minutes long"
So, if he has been spending alot of time watching youtube then he could easily rack up an awful amount of data use 😮
Message 2 of 15

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
I thought that all data was slowed now on new simplicity tariffs once data allowance used so may be best to swap to new tariff with a data bolton
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm no expert but it looks like an error to me.
As far as I know, the minimum data bundle on monthly tarrifs is 100mb. As the first bill you show only list 53mb it should all be free. Most of it appears to be and its only the last 2 entries that make up the full cost. You need to confirm what the data bundle is, then confirm that the phone was in use at that time and what it was being used for to deduce if the data charge is correct.
The second bill just looks rediculous. It appears that all data has been made chargable. You need to check that no changes have been made to the tarrif, in error or otherwise,which may have changed the data allowoance, and stop all data use until you get it sorted.
If the phone is an iOS or Android device you could try downloading the Dataman app. It reports all data usage (3G and wifi) and you may be surprised at the results.
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your help, She has been in touch with O2 and they are investigating although they do say that it is not a mistake, I did think with the urgency that they would get back pretty soon but she has been waiting 5 days for them to return call now so will get her to ring again tomorrow as its quite a worry to have such a big bill and is causing a lot of stress for her.
The phone is cancelled now by the way.
Message 5 of 15

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
It's happening on my account and I've also noticed that the data has a F or P at the end of each day and it shouldn't have anything.
I have also been in touch with O2 and its been sent of to investigation team 4 days ago.
Findings so far. Spoke to 2 really nice people who in the own words are, I should have had a SMS saying I had gone over the limit and it's been slowed down. That I didn't get and confirmed with O2.
Next is that once I have gone over the limit it should slow down automatically and not charge any more. Again confirmed by O2 and in there terms and conditions. I can say i did go over on one of there systems but not on another and again O2 said I still have data left to use. I have kept the online transcript and will be forwarding this shortly.
What O2 have done currently.
The day after I noticed that a full data page was completely removed and all charges were vanished. Also I was given a 500mb extra just to cover if something did happen.
Every day up to my bill I noticed that data was being removed of my account until yesterday so no charges would apply.
Still not heard back from O2 yet.
I'm going to call tomorrow as I can say that the fault is still there and if you do have a data bundle with o2, then O2 terms advise that will be slowed and a SMS sent asking if you want to buy more.
I would advise everyone to look at there data usage and anything strange contact o2 direct and request
A full investigation as far as I'm aware you shouldn't be charged and something has seriously gone wrong with there system.

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2011/11/ ... -concerns/
Read the above and O2 part saying that customers will never spend more than what they agree to.
So there you go there own statement.
BBCnews had a article too and ombudsman was saying they weren't happy with networks doing this.
I hope this is a O2 error which needs to be resolved ASAP.
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 6 of 15

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
Ok Findings.
I recevied a Call form a Really nice person at O2 this morning and we had a good chat regarding the issue.
They are aware of some issues with Data and looking to resolve the issue shortly. On my account at least.
If any one thinks that they have been charged and shouldnt have to contact customer care where they will look into this for you.
If i have any more info then I will let you know.
Thanks
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys,
I've passed this information on to our team to have it looked into.
I'll post an update as soon as I hear back.
Thanks for all your feedback and comments.
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
@darrengf Thanks for taking time and trouble to post your helpful posts,
I will get her to look into this deeper as O2 have replied after 6 days waiting and spoke to a guy who was extremely unhelpful and told her husband that he cannot do anything as he 'can't change bills or discount bills' and that they will have to pay for all charges, which they cannot afford.
Its not very good customer service as they have 3x long standing O2 pay monthly contracts and a long standing O2 Broadband contract and no customer satisfation as yet, they dont seem to understand how much stress and worry a bill like this can cause someone.
Would really like to discuss this with someone in authority at O2 if possible?
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just found these terms and conditions from 2010, can anyone tell me why they dont apply to O2 Simplicity pay monthly with no data bolt on, as to me they look like they should do?
Data Charges
For applicable tariffs with data capability: Unless a data or BlackBerry Bolt On is taken, your tariff will include O2 Web Daily under which data (for UK only use) will be charged at up to a maximum of £1.02 per day (00:00am to 23:59pm). Once you have reached your maximum daily charge of £1.02, O2 Web Daily allows you unlimited use of Telefónica UK Limited's Edge/GPRS/ 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes.
Message 10 of 15