Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges for being in Albania when I was in Greece

AJF1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been charged data charges for being in Albania when I was in Greece. I only discovered this when I left. 

Can customer service please correct this as I was never in Albania and am being charged nearly £50?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145067 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@AJF1 

Your phone would have connected to an Albanian network and is known as accidental roaming.

Speak to O2 and they may be able to help.

You can reach the Payment Management team on 0800 902 0217.
The opening times are:
Monday to Friday – 8am to 8pm
Saturday – 8am to 6pm
Sunday – 9am to 6pm

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 145067 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@AJF1 

Your phone would have connected to an Albanian network and is known as accidental roaming.

Speak to O2 and they may be able to help.

You can reach the Payment Management team on 0800 902 0217.
The opening times are:
Monday to Friday – 8am to 8pm
Saturday – 8am to 6pm
Sunday – 9am to 6pm

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 4

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6807 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

Parts of Greece border Albania which often has a stronger signal in some locations. If network selection is set to Automatic it may well choose that network.

The way to stop this is to manually select a Greek network and leave the phone of automatic

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 145067 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@AJF1 

O2 advice here 

How to prevent accidental roaming

Accidental roaming happens when you're in an area close to a national border and your phone picks up the network across the border. If this happens, you may be charged as though you were roaming in the country across the border. You can prevent this by choosing manual, rather than automatic, network selection on your phone and then manually choosing the O2 network. This way if you lose the O2 network, your phone won't try to connect you to a different one. For help with turning off data roaming, go to our interactive device guide.

Using Your Phone Abroad | Help & Support | O2

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 4